On elves, sex, and inter-racial...stuff

Short stories, maps, bios...it all goes in here.

On elves, sex, and inter-racial...stuff

Postby Adjanah » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Rather interesting read, which may or may not be of interest to some of you (yarr yarr hump hump ;)).

http://www.ansereg.com/what_tolkien_off ... id_abo.htm
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:42 pm

*chuckles* Interesting read :wink:
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Felaion » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:59 pm

So, for elves, having sex is the same as getting married?
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Haelewulf » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:25 pm

Essentially, yes. Except Eol, the Dark Elf, possibly. :)
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Felaion » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:30 pm

Intreaging...

((Probably not spelt right, but you know the word))
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Lirandel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:01 am

Been there, using it, allready ahead of you :P

Sincerely

L
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Archibold » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:42 am

And in the following esay we find out that Frodo and Sam were not homosexual ! Yay!
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Adjanah » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:08 am

Anyone failing to see the utter innocence and just friendship of anything between Frodo and Sam and any of the hobbits is a waste of DNA. "lol they hug they gay!!!1" Morons. I encountered much the same in a japanese animated film recently. I saw the original japanese release first, where a father takes a bath with his two 4-5 year old daughters. It was such a sweet, loving scene that really gave the movie a lot. In the western release, that scene had been cut. I really hate people sometimes.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:11 am

*agrees*
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby kellidir » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:18 pm

the thing with elves is that I don't think they're overly psychologically portrayed well regarding the toils of endless life.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Lirandel » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:50 am

Aye Kell. I hear you. But I have an angle on that one for Lira, but it would be nice to find some lore on that actually. I dont know if Tolkien has ever written something about that. OR he just took it for granted, that elves mentally can endure... Being elves and all.

L
Last edited by Lirandel on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Archibold » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:17 am

I am in no way Tolkien expert , but i read few notions that elves are beings filled with "spirit" opposed to humans that are filled "with fire of life" (something like that)

Therefore Elves can not die , get sick and even when thier vessel (body) is damaged beyond repair the spirit leaves and continues his life in halls of Mandos.

In this aspect Elves are highly spiritual beings. And simply do not percive sex, love and lust same as humans.
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Felaion » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:32 am

It's this religious Duality thing...

Mind or Body?

'Spirit is willing but the body is weak' etc.
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby kellidir » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:41 am

The way i see LOTR elves, is that they are very much stagnant.

The birth and death rates are almost zero except during times of war for the later. Their communities have barely expanded over the millenia, and there are a good number who can count their ages with very high four digit numbers. This could be a biology thing, perhaps menopause sets in earlier, or they have longer cycles; and perhaps its more of a mental thing, ever lasting life having caused them to loose a lot of their sense of passion.

They're very self contained, the elves of Lorien pretty much don't allow outsiders into their city.

They're not very inventive, or have no inventive desire. Despite having millenia to develop their skills and to discover new technologies, the elf technological level seems to have stayed completely static from the time of the armies marching on mordor and killing Sauron, to the time told in LOTR. They've invented nothing, they've achieved nothing.

All they've really done, is eat, sing and chill out for thousands of years.

I personnally don't think you can simply just exist for so long doing nothing, staying in the same area for so long. Sooner or later it will impact the mind, no matter how spiritual you are.

My concept of Memereth was someone who has existed for so very long, someone who could make predicitions of what is to come. She knows how to read palms, the cards and to read the portents, and with the right drugs, to see more ... though she could just be hallucinating :wink: . Over all, life has long lost its element of surprise for her, and in an effort to break out of the cycle of unchanging existance and to stop herself from going mad; she reinvents herself every hundred years, sets new goals for herself. And if there is one thing she really likes to do .... it's to defy fate.

Given tolkien's stories, i'd have to say the majority of elves have simply gotten into a routine of existing, they're very dull, for example ... all of lorien. But there are a few elves, who grasp onto life so much more, and perhaps their time with the mortals helps them to do it. Those being elves like legolas. I do think that there is perhaps an almost vitalising effect the mortals have on elves as the mortals live with so much more urgency.

and then again i could be talking crap :D
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Archibold » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:09 pm

Kelli , i think we should look at Tolkien elves - something as we would imagine angels (pardon my cornines)

They have diferent desires than we have. Actually live in state of perfect balance and bliss. They only desire is to live in this bliss. No need for any advancement. They are allready in perfect state of mind. In heaven.

While human life is short full of both passing pleasures and pains. Humans must evolve just to prolong
their lives , they must invent just to survive. Therefor emotions and passions are strong but short. Concentrated. While elf could have an emotion lasting for thousand years but in very deluted state...
Archibold

Return to LOTRO: The Library