Server Merging

General talk, rumors, builds and so on concerning DDO.

Server Merging

Postby Volgh » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:30 pm

Read the article. Important news!

Server Merging
Dec 21st 2006, 12:00 GMT
The DDO server mergeSeveral of our players have asked for a server merge, particularly for our lower-population servers where finding a group can be more challenging. Couple this with new, increased capacity for concurrent users per server and we are now able to implement this for you!

Here's what we plan to do:

New Server Configuration
We'll eventually be merging our five current servers down into two new servers to be called "Keeper" and "Devourer". (Another two deities from the D&D® universe!)

However, before we get to that stage we will first launch a public test server to ensure the merge system is working properly before committing to the final merge.

In the third week of December, we'll see our public test server go live. (Please note that the public test server may not be available at all times). This server will have a clone of ALL of your characters copied onto it. This means that you can hop onto it and play any of your current live characters in the newly merged test world. Aureon, Boldrei, Dorn, Lyrandar and Onatar will still be available to play on as normal and will not be affected by the addition of the public test server.

This public test server will remain live for around one month whilst we thoroughly test it. When we are satisfied that all is operating correctly we will then bring down the public test server and completely wipe it ready for the launch of the two brand new merged servers: Devourer and Keeper.

Important: Any progress or changes you make whilst playing on the test server will be lost forever once the test server is brought down and wiped. Any changes or progress made on the five live servers during this time will be kept and transferred to the new, merged servers in January.

When we complete the final merge into the two new servers, all players will have ALL of their characters from all servers copied onto both Devourer and Keeper. Yes, that means that you will have duplicate characters on both new worlds! We chose to do it this way so that everyone could choose where they wanted to stay. Players are free to keep or delete their characters after the merge. Please note though that once you have deleted your characters you will be unable to get them back!

What about all my characters? I've got over 20!
The good news is that all your characters will come with you to the new servers. If for example you have 3 characters on Aureon, 5 characters on Boldrei, and 2 characters on Dorn, after the servers are merged you will have 10 characters. You will NOT be able to create any new characters though until some characters are deleted and you are below the maximum character limit of 5, (6 if the Drow is unlocked).

But what about my character name, will I be able to keep it on the new servers?
If you are moved to a server where there are no characters with your name then you will keep your name. If your character is moved to a server where a character has already taken your name then your character will have the appendix – placed after their name. So for example, if your character's name is Bob and you are moved from Dorn to Devourer and there is already a character named Bob there, your new name on Devourer will be automatically renamed to "Bob-Dorn".

Please note that if your character has a surname then they will be renamed like this: Bob-Dorn The Great. Any character that has been renamed during a shard merge is given one re-name credit so that you may choose something better/different.

(Instructions on how to rename your characters will be posted to the forums and website in the near future).

What about guild names?
In the same way as with individual characters, guild names will also have the server name appended to the end of their name if they are moved to a server where the guild name is already taken. For example, if a guild called The Koboldkillers from the Onatar server gets transferred to Keeper, their name will become The Koboldkillers Onatar on the Keeper server. Guilds that have had their name changed however will not be awarded rename tokens.

Will I lose my friends list?
No, you won't! Friends lists will come with your characters, however, if you or one of your friends changes your name to something other than than what you were transferred to the new server with, you will lose your friends list.

What will happen with auctions?
After the server merge, open auctions from the old servers will be closed and items will be returned to the posters. Items are not lost and simply are returned to the posters through the mail system as if the auction has expired.

We've done everything to plan the merge to make it as smooth a transition as possible. We've given all players the maximum options to keep their characters, to be on the world that they want to be on and to keep their names. We are sure that as a result, the grouping and whole game experience will improve for everyone!

If you have any questions regarding the merge, please ask your questions in this forum thread, thank you.

Forum thread
Volgh's saying of the week:
"No more hidey sneaky!"

Shards of Siberys Forums - NEW home for the Shards!
Volgh
Troublemaker Extraordinaire

Postby Adjanah » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Sounds good! Yay for more people! :)
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Volgh » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:21 pm

I have created a thread on the CM forums so that Boldrei and its residents may decide where to move. I would not like to part from other RP guilds in any way and you sure know that I wouldn't like to see the Shards in a different server than the Thorns.
"No more hidey sneaky!"

Volgh

Postby Sayvara » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:40 pm

I like the idea too. More people is good. There will be some pain in the transfer but in the end, it's for the better. Boldrei is just too damn thin these days.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Lirandel » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:52 am

Seems like I will have to change my name. As another out there has taken it for him/herself :/

No more Lirandel...

Any suggestions?

Sincerely

L :(
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Sayvara » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:30 am

Naw...

/me draws her greatsword and grins...

....just let me deal with him and he will gladly change his name. :D

(( It's probably a First Come/First Serve policy when it comes to name merging. We will be given Name-change credits. ))

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Adjanah » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:54 pm

Noeees! Lira is Lira! You know this for sure, Lira? Someone else has already taken the name or?
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Volgh » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Who could have *dared* to take the name Lirandel for his own? Unless Lirandel rolled an alt on another server which he does not even remember about! :mrgreen:
"No more hidey sneaky!"

Volgh

Postby Cromes » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:39 am

If it goes all bad, put in an extra 'L'? Lirandell? Llirandel? Liirandel perhaps? :P

Sure hope all or as many as possible will keep their names (at least in OUR group, screw all others. ;P).

But apart from that, it'll be real nice.
Just see speedbumps as mini-ramps!
Cromes

Postby Volgh » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:27 am

After the meeting that occured on the 28th of December, Boldrei decided that their next home will be the server under the name of Keeper.

Click here for the thread on the CM forums.
"No more hidey sneaky!"

Volgh

Postby Adjanah » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:52 am

Duly noted. Keeper it is.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Anaya » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:28 pm

An interesting side effect will be that all your characters are on both servers.

That means I for one will auction off all the hot equipment I use on the server I don't play my characters, and... well... have one terribly rich char around in case Keeper gets too boring. :)

I am not happy about the merge. They could at least give us more slots. Grr.
Anaya

Postby Anaya » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:05 pm

So, the news is that we won't get a choice which server to travel to.

Boldrei and Aureon will merge to Keeper while Lyrander, Dorn and Onatar will go to Devourer.

This is mostly positive, even if I find it a pitty that I don't get my Lyrandar characters to play again. This also means that unless you have a double on Aureon, you'll be allowed to keep your name.

Unfortunately, I am still hunting for the Anaya on Aureon, but maybe some of you have better luck than me.
Anaya

Return to The Lobby