Important note on possible DDO interest

General talk, rumors, builds and so on concerning DDO.

Important note on possible DDO interest

Postby Adjanah » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Right, been doing a little reading up since I've been having a rather good time in good ol' DDO, and I've come up with a VERY important point we need to keep in mind IF we decide to poke a bit at it:

The whole free-to-play, buy-stuff-in-stores thing is ONLY being released in the US for the time being - Codemasters (the company handling DDO in Europe) are apparently afraid that they'll lose all income if they introduce it here. So, we will have the option of starting old accounts (or new) up again and paying subscription fees to play on the EU servers, OR we can start up new ones and play on the US servers once it leaves beta stage.

I'm personally most for trying out the US servers - I get the feeling a LOT of europeans will do the same, so there should be players available in our timezones as well. Time will tell. Till then, I just wanted to give those of that might be interested a wee heads-up. :)
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Re: Important note on possible DDO interest

Postby Lirandel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:06 pm

Yeah, why not. US servers sounds great. It would be a fresh start really. Besides. The only reason as to why I want to play this game again (2½ years gametime since early closed beta.) Is you mates!

Although I must say they have changed quite a bit since I was last there. (Thanks to Adj's betakey I poked it somewhat.)

So let us get this underway. Gief betakey or stop beta'ing and release this mmo! *grumbles*
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Archibold » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Well. I dont intend to go for subscription , so USA server is the only way.
And in beta i did not have latency problems.Meaning its perfectly possible to play.
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby kellidir » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 pm

if its free then i don't mind giving it a poke
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Adjanah » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Archibold wrote:And in beta i did not have latency problems.Meaning its perfectly possible to play.

Indeed! I was pretty surprised at that myself too. :)

Right now I'm trying to get a hold of the ten-day trial of the US version, but their system seems to be down. I'd like to poke my head in on the US servers and see if there are people around in the timeframe that most of us will likely be playing in.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:27 am

I'm up for giving this a go too. Although you'll have to keep me posted and tell me when and where to poke when I'd like to play.

Not knowing what it was like before, I don't know what's been changed. But I do know that the dungeons are just begging for role-play and character interation.
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Haelewulf » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:52 am

Since Yontan, Immense Disciple, myself and a few others have recently decided to foray into D&D 4th edition, this really sounds like something worth poking. It'll be a couple weeks before I go down that road, though. :)
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Archibold » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:28 am

Adjanah wrote:
Archibold wrote:And in beta i did not have latency problems.Meaning its perfectly possible to play.

Indeed! I was pretty surprised at that myself too. :)

Right now I'm trying to get a hold of the ten-day trial of the US version, but their system seems to be down. I'd like to poke my head in on the US servers and see if there are people around in the timeframe that most of us will likely be playing in.

Well, i usually had no problem finding groups in beta. And there were quite few EU players there.
Also. Its safe to expect many EU players flocking USA servers , for obvious reasons of F2P
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby kellidir » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm

How are you finding 4th edition? I hear it is very geared towards models.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Adjanah » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 pm

I gave up on getting the trial to work, so since I'm a weakminded fool I bought a month of subsription on the ordinary american servers, just to check it out. Indeed, I had no trouble finding a group (a damn GOOD group, even!), and while there WAS a bit of lag, it was never annoying to a degree where it meant anything. It manifested as the occasional half-second of nobody moving and then snapping back to life, and was quite rare.

Should anyone be weak like me and get into the full game, I am currently on the Thelanis server. I read up on the forum and tried to find which server (if any) was the unofficial RP server, and it *seems* (feel free to correct me) that Thelanis is it.

In other news, for the purposes of foul minmaxing, Adjanah is now a halfling. xD

As for D&D 4th edition (DDO is running on 3.5, by the by), I've tried it a few times. I'm by no means an expert on it, but off the top of my hat I'll say that it is a damn good *game*...but seriously lacking in the RP department. They've basically turned it into "MMO Unplugged". They go so far as talking Roles (tank, DPS, healing) and uses a lot of MMO terminology in general. Combat especially has become very very board-gamy, which takes away a lot of the randomness and improvising that I am used to. But as a board game, it is good fun.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Haelewulf » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:34 am

Well, first session tonight, and I really thought it went rather well!

Perhaps it's just because most if not all of the players had never known 3.5 or earlier, the system catered to RP really quite well. (Epic chuckles at the skinning of a kobold, and counter-intimidating in-party.) The more abstruse feats and the like were eliminated, and no one had useless skills. Combat was fluid and fairly intuitive, and it was really easy as DM to require relevant roles with minimal difficulty.

Improvised models helped a lot for combat. :)

So far, so very good!
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Adjanah » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:19 am

Glad to hear it! :D
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Sayvara » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Adjanah wrote:In other news, for the purposes of foul minmaxing, Adjanah is now a halfling. xD

*Sayv holds up Janah by one leg... peering at her*

There's something odd about you sis... can't quite put my finger on it.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby kellidir » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:02 am

*grins* Well this is new ... nothing has ever stopped Sayvara putting a finger on "it" before.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Sayvara » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:52 pm

kellidir wrote:*grins* Well this is new ... nothing has ever stopped Sayvara putting a finger on "it" before.

Keep it up Kelli and I'll put my finger directly on your appendix. :P

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Next

Return to The Lobby