Beta?

General talk, rumors, builds and so on concerning DDO.

Beta?

Postby Felaion » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:19 am

I got a most puzzling e-mail a few minutes ago. It seems I've been offered a place in the "Closed Beta" But, and I quote: "Shhh! It's secret: As a reminder, your participation in the closed Beta is governed by your acceptance of the Non-Disclosure Agreement. Please limit your feedback to the DDO Beta Forums and email surveys"

I'm not quite sure what that means, but at least I'll get to take a look at this game I never did play. A chance to play Felaion again! I miss the old farmboy.

It does mean that I can't review. Odd, that.
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Re: Beta?

Postby Archibold » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:14 am

Good news mate :)

Is it for american DDO:EU ? Cause i am in same beta and enjoying every moment of it ( if i just had more time to play :( )
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Adjanah » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:18 am

It means you're not allowed to talk of the game outside of the game or the official forums. It's pretty common for them to keep it hush-hush until they're pretty sure that stuff works as intended. :)
In either case, enjoy your stay in there. It is a good game with lots of fun and interesting innovations, even if it feels a bit "small" after a while. :)
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Adjanah » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:30 am

Oooh, and I got an invite as well. Might poke my head in if I get a free moment :)
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:28 pm

Oh, lovely :) Well, I'll see either of you in-game if you're there! Likely to go by the name Felaion.
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Sayvara » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:46 pm

No invite for me... bastards. I friggin' beta-tested that game for real for them! :evil:

DDO is Sayvara's birthplace. It's a neat li'l MMO, desperately trying to cater to the d20/D&D nerds, and succeeding all too well, although not enough to please the nerds because they simply cannot grasp that what thery do with pen & paper over hours swish past in just a few minutes in a computer game. Hence DDO is like D&D on steroids and amphetamines, and your slots just cram up with +5 Items Of Everything.

All in all though, it's a good first for Turbine and it did pave the way for them to make LotRO, which in my opinion is still a smash hit of a game. SWG and LotRO are in my opinon the best MMO's for anyone that wants a bit of immersion and escape WoW's constant rape and abuse of the fourth wall. And DDO is like a fun little hang-around that relates to these two.

I'll poke my head in and see what the open play is like. Those of you that know Sayvara from that time will notice she has changed, though just a tiny bit. Her wonderful, cuddly personality is still the same, along with that charming touch of madness that sadly got lost on the way over to Middle Earth. She's still wielding her stonkin' great ti... uhm, sword, although now she has laid off the fun and trickery of magic that her former bard class gave her and now suits up in full plate as a fighter should.

Anyway... enjoy your stay. :)

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Archibold » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:50 pm

I agree with Sayvara.

I am myself huge D&D affectionado, and was anticipating that game. But when it arrived i was disappointed.

The game (at least at that time) was not worth monthly subscription (for me) for all the reasons Sayvara so nicely explained.

But now - the game is free. I mean (and you will see) its not really free. (although you can surely play it free up to lvl 20. Instead of subscription you buy parts of the game permanently. Which is perfect for casual nature of DDO.

This is especially good for groups that prefer roleplaying over power grinding.... And for casual roleplayers too.

Its a great move from Turbine.
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Felaion » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:05 pm

I agree, I like the free-to-play, pay to buy bits idea. It'll annoy me no end, I'm sure... but has less of the ball-and-chain feel of subscription games.

In contrast to Sayvara, Felaion was born in LOTRO, and is now taking the move to DDO! In so doing, he's lost his second name. Now he wanders the world as 'Felaion Green'. He's also made a class move from Rogue to Ranger.

He's still the same ol' farmboy, though!
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Felaion » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:20 pm

Might reconsider that move.

Certainly feels like a game that'll take a bit of getting used to... seems a tad confusing. I do think it needs RP to come alive, certainly!
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Lirandel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:37 pm

I wonder what happens to my 32 point character bonus slot and all the other stuff I unlocked during our stay there?

Any tidbit concerning this?
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Adjanah » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Any existing characters remain and can still be played. You can also still subscribe and get access to everything. There is just ALSO the option of playing it on a pay-to-play basis.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:10 pm

Well, that's usefull. I quite enjoyed playing today... changed Felaion -again-.. he's now a Sorceror. I think it's an interesting twist to the classic character. :)
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Sayvara » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:15 pm

Felaion wrote:Well, that's usefull. I quite enjoyed playing today... changed Felaion -again-.. he's now a Sorceror. I think it's an interesting twist to the classic character. :)

Farmboy turned sorcerer? Yikes...

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Haelewulf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Man, Sorc's are my fav class. :(

Ironic, considering Wulf's general characteristics, but lobbing spells around at will is epic. And Warlock doesn't quite cut it for me... lacks the versatility. (Can you even roll Warlocks in DDO?)
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Adjanah » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Nope. ^^
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Next

Return to The Lobby