Who will play ?

Who will play ?

Postby Archibold » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:37 pm

Let see , who plans on playing ?

My problem is that no store i know of here , will get the box. And i will have to think of the way how to get the game.
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Re: Who will play ?

Postby Lirandel » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:36 pm

Well. I think some of the members still need to test the game some more.

But at the moment, the people involved are:

Adjanah
Archibold
Candil
Haelewulf
Kellidir
Lirandel
Lirandel's Missus (Maybe)

Now. It would be great to have more to join us. In this High Fantasy setting. But. If not. We will most definently be playing together in COX or Lotro. As a bro of mine always says "Let the good times roll." :wink:

Ah and the recruitment policy will be activated there as well. To get more peeps into the mix :D
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Lildarwen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:21 pm

EQ2 has all the disadvantages you have been complaining about the last months.

It is severely raid and high-level-based. The whole game focusses on the endgame and itemcollecting. It is nothing better than Warcraft or LotRO - all the same lvl-1-MMORPG.

I played EQ for 5 years and EQ2 for 2 years - I have enough from SOE and will not join any game made by them until they really do something new and exciting.

Sorry folks - but my EQ2 subscription stays where it is: closed.

Miss you all :(

Lill

PS.: what really saddens me is, that you switch to a game, which has exactly the same flaws as WoW and LotRO - stupid grinding to reach the highest level as fast as possible - only to do more stuff in endless raid instances to kill boss XYZ over and over to complete the fantastic super-duper-armor-of-endless-wasted-time. But I wish you good luck and fun - as long as you can have it.
Lildarwen

Postby Archibold » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Lill , i agree with you - and seen you been playing eq2 for two years i am sure you know what you are talking about

Question is , if not EQ2 than what ?

p.s

TR is out of question for me
Last edited by Archibold on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Lirandel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:48 pm

Yes. I understand your view. But even when I played Lotro full time. I never went for the end game. It is fun to try once in a while. To see that marvelous dungeon and rescue the princess of vanity. But in truth. It is nothing I have ever strifed for. This shall be seen as a way to explore a new world setting. And yes, Lil. As I have said before. You have been there and done that. so why explore again in the first place. Now. If people aren't up for switching games that is understandable. This should only be seen as another possibility to explore and RP with friends. But. There are of course many factors here. RL, Money, Time allowed and most importantly motivation for the game itself. So. Again. See this as a test, where some of us will poke it.
And as I said in a prior post. We will still be seeing you in Lotro and Cox. This is an open statement for the Thorn involved.

Miss you too Lil :D

Dont get munched in Tabula Rasa :P
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Haelewulf » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:01 pm

These negatives are comments on the game itself. I will endure much from a game if the possibility for good times with friends is still present.

There are elements of EQ2 that already do not appeal to me... I very much liked the sound of the swashbuckler initially, but having to be behind someone to attack with heftiness... and the general clunkiness of movement and targeting, etc... although in fairness, I don't think any MMO has combat down like CoX, for sheer smoothness and quick playability.

Having said that, even my all-time favourite game(s), the Baldur's Gate series, were improved by playing with a friend as well as all the amazing NPC's. Shared experience is a greater experience, and I'd rather play a wizard and struggle slightly with the Thorn than devote myself entirely to a single player experience like Tabula Rasa... although it does sound intriguing.

As far as LotRO is concerned, as the one who hit 50 fastest and has been there the longest... I can honestly say that until recent "books," the joy of the game was the journey to 50, not the endgame content. Even now, the devs always add some mid-level content along with new Raids, etc... and added a 12-man Raid to try and appeal to those that dread the 24-man chaos.

Any game that exists by subscription must continually satisfy the demands of those that have "maxed out" their character... simple economics.

The long and the short of it is that we need something to fill the space. CoX will be getting a new expansion soon, huzzah... but EQ2 is an established world, vast and (for most of us) unexplored. That's always fun, in and of itself.

You really think most of us will be rushing for the endgame? Especially when this is essentially a stop-gap between now and AoC in March?

There should be plenty of content between level n00b and level 80... and I plan to enjoy as much of it as possible, in the company of friends. It's a shame that you're too disillusioned with EQ2 to join us, and I hope you enjoy Tabula Rasa... and I DO appreciate the frustrations expressed by people who feel we are leaping around too much.

But for pity's sake, quit raining on my parade. :) I didn't incessantly re-iterate the problems I had with CoX when it was raised, but gave it another shot... and I'm glad I did. Even if I hadn't given it a try, however, there was a time when I loved it, and there's no reason that people new to the game won't find that first love, however shortlived... and I think they did.

If EQ2 becomes old that fast, I won't play past the free game time... but I WILL play it as long as I enjoy it, no matter how grim a picture people try to paint of it. 'Nuff said, I think.

[Edit: Lira posted as I was writing this... and aye, we'll be seeing you guys around, y'all are missed. :) ]
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Archibold » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:30 pm

I can only say as someone that played both LOTRO,COX,WOW and EQ2 that EQ2 has not much new to offer
... but it does have lot to offer

I highly doubt that any of us will see lvl 80 until march , and with all the expansions there is more areas and quests than any of us can cover in a year.

As for Wulfies problem with Swashbuckler - it is rogue class , and for some reason MMO developers go by the moto
"Rogues do it from behind" :wink:

But there is still many other interesting classes in EQ2
Archibold

Postby Lildarwen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:39 pm

You don't have to play the Swashy as 'from behind class'.

EQ2 let you choose your way you specialize your Swashy - if you want to play the 'behind'-class you should use Assassin for example.

Swashies have (besides a stupid hat I really dislike) alot of advantages - like group escape and other stuff you should explore yourself. I love my lvl 32 swashy :) - even it is a class nearly impossible to solo.

As I have said: have fun all - and don't forget me too fast :oops:
Lildarwen

Postby Sayvara » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:40 pm

Since there doesn't seem to be any real commitment to the game but rather a "let's see what happens"-attitude, I'm not gambling away 300 SEK on it. So... no, I won't be in EQ II, at least not from the start.

I'm gonna let you guys try it out and when you tell me you want ot stay there for a while, then I am more likely to poke my head over. But I'm not putting out that kind of money when I don't even know if we're gonna stay there for more than the complimeantary 30 days that comes with the game.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Adjanah » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:16 pm

Hard to put commitment into a game many of us haven't properly TRIED yet. So it will indeed very much be a test-run. As for the game being high-level based and raid-oriented, suits me. It keeps all the raidheads out of our hair, and lets us focus on the ones that choose to remain behind, the roleplayers. None of us will head to endgame in EQ2, it's not what we're going for and we don't even have the time for it. We're going for checking out housing, the world, the classes, the lore and the rp.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby kellidir » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:14 pm

I've played eq1, eq2, swg, Ryzom, Auto Assault, RF Online, WoW, LoTRO etc... *yawns*

I played with Lilly and Candi for most of our time in EQ2, and to be honest I quite enjoyed it. Sure the standard models have plasticine hair, but there is the alternate models which are quite nice and geared toward the more oriental audience.

I quite enjoyed the endgame stuff in this, I thought that a lot of the high end dungeons were rather well designed ... of course some I didn't like, but that goes for any game really. Yes there is a lot of item collection and levelling involved. I haven't seen any MMO that doesn't have this except for the classic SWG. THere is still a lot to do and a lot of dungeons from the early levels right up to the top levels. There is no shortage of content, and in all the time I played it, I know I didn't see at least a third of it. And with Mentor, there is never an issue with who levels the most.

The housing is very good, the original zones do look a little old now, but the new ones you can tell look very new.

As for combat, I mostly levelled Ishka from 1 to 64 solo as a wizard and really enjoyed blowing up everything in site.

Its not a perfect game, but it is a good game, in someways uglier than LoTRO, but it does a lot of stuff a lot better than LoTRO.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby kellidir » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:18 pm

To give LoTRO its due, it does do somethings very well. The epic story lines for example. I've never seen this anywhere else before and its really quite a nice addition. Though i've halted on those when I found I need a high level raid to carry on in the epic story line.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Return to Everquest 2