Volgh's Advice

General talk, rumors, builds and so on concerning DDO.

Volgh's Advice

Postby Volgh » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:16 pm

Sir Lirandel asked me to help you all out! So here I am, one by one please start making questions about ANYTHING cconcerning DDO! Your weapons? Your Feats? Eberron itself? Anything that occurs in DDO, from quest to location of an item or anything!

/me salutes.
Volgh's saying of the week:
"No more hidey sneaky!"

Shards of Siberys Forums - NEW home for the Shards!
Volgh
Troublemaker Extraordinaire

Heya ;o)

Postby Lirandel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:26 pm

how much damage reduction does shield mastery or dwarven shield mastery give?

I got myself a dwarven alt here and cant find some info on that one -_-

Sincerely

L
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Active Damage Reduction

Postby Volgh » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:30 pm

Dwarven Shield Mastery:
You gain an additional bonus to reduce the damage you suffer when blocking. (+2, +4, +6 for levels I, II and III respectively)

Shield Mastery:
Increases the amount of damage you can absorb when defending with a shield.
Prerequisite: Shield Proficiency: General
(+3 bonus)

Improved Shield Mastery:
Increases the amount of damage you can absorb when defending with a shield.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +8, Shield Mastery
(+3 additional bonus)

As you might know, DDO has implemented and Active and Passive Danage Reduction system.

Adamantine, the Barbarian's DR, Stoneskin etc are all considered passive. However, there is a category of Active DR and involve the feats Shield Mastery and Improved Shield Mastery and the Dwarven Enhancement, Dwarven Shield Mastery. Two-Weapon Blocking also falls under this category.

Also, shields, according to their category, impose a Damage Reduction when actively blocking. Bucklers and Light Shields reduce the damage by 1, Heavy Shields by 2 while the Tower Shield 4.

Finally the base formula to find out what the DR with a shield on is, would be:
Base active DR (with shield) = (BAB / 2) + Shield AC bonus + 2

On this one, we shall add the bonuses from feats, enhancements and the Shield's magical bonus (+1 to +5).

A level 12 dwarven fighter holding a +5 tower shield and actively blocking would have a DR of:
Active DR = (12/2)+6+3+3+(4+5)+2= 6+6+3+3+9+2= 29

I do hope that I have answered your question, Captain. Feel free to ask for clarifications and I shall update my post.
"No more hidey sneaky!"

Volgh

Postby Cromes » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:21 pm

Does all DR stack? As in stoneskin + barb dam red?
Just see speedbumps as mini-ramps!
Cromes

Postby Volgh » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:23 am

Damage reduction does not stack but the best at any given time overlaps the others. However all of them are active and are ntot neglected if the case arrises.

As a rule DR is represented like DRv/χ where ν represents the reduction value and χ the material(s) that bypass(es) the given value. A "-" represents that the Reduction value cannot be bypassed by any kind of material.
So at any given time if the reduction value is higher and the anullation value is false, then this will be the one that will take effect. If the bypassing material value is true, then the next higher given Reductoin value will be taken into account.

But enough with maths!

A simple example:
A barbarian with DR3/- (which means that it cannot be bypassed by nothing) and the Stoneskin spell (let us assume 10/adamantine for this exactly) is attacked by an adamantine weapon. Stoneskin's DR is immediately bypassed so the next best DR is the DR3/-. However, if the weapon was not adamantine then it would be the stoneskin taking effect.

Obviously DRv/- is the best reduction around. As a final word, passive and active DR will not stack.
"No more hidey sneaky!"

Volgh

Return to The Lobby