Module 4!

General talk, rumors, builds and so on concerning DDO.

Module 4!

Postby Anaya » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Alright, Module 4 is incredibly and totally awesome.

The quests are (so far, haven't done the raid and preraid quest yet) absolutely awesome - very challenging, great scripts, fantastic and fun battles. The new AI makes things incredibly fun, especially going against casters who now happily use a lot of nasty spells like Symbol of Pain to block strategic passages, and archers who are actually kiting you!

The new quests are a great mixture between interesting (!) battles (with archers and casters on ledges, and with a lot of cover), traps that make you go "freakingfuckingshitWHOA!" when you run into them the first time (there is one trap that continuously pulses with shockwaves, sending you flying... into spears and blenders at the ceiling), and really great and fiendish puzzles that still get our head swimming. They also make use of a lot of odd skills - for example, if you go into the Crucible to get beaten into a pulp (to join the Storm's Fist brigade, lead by a sarcastic stonegiant), you should make sure your party has at least one really strong swimmer in the party - there is an AWESOME underwaterpassage that is absolutely deadly and great, and has nothing at all to do with any underwater bits you have ever seen before.

The wilderness/adventure zones are a nice touch. The Cerulean Hills (for level 1-4s) look fantastic and are great to RP in (they learned landscaping from LOTRO, actually), but are a bit low in treasure. The Gianthold Ruins however is a bleak landscape with lava and frozen statues of Giants, Dragons and other monsters locked into an eternal battle - and an army of creatures. They provide lots of experience, and there's about 10 random chests scattered in it.

The monsters: While orcs are nice and quite unique when it comes to their abilities (raging archers are quite nasty, makes me reconsider my plans for a ranger/barbarian), the real winners are the Stone, Cloud and Fallen Giants. Where Firegiants are oversized dwarves, these guys are the real deal.

Level 16 (level 14 quests on elite) loot is quite niceish. Disruptors and other tasties like a +15 hide and a +6 strength glove dropped for me so far. Since the new quests are *really* challenging, a good party that trusts each other and doesn't rush blindly around is an absolute must in most of the quests, especially in the more tricky puzzle passages.

There's also quite a lot of love for rogues. Plenty of quests feature secret areas behind locked doors, the traps basically shout for high reflexes on elite setting - and even Sisila managed to blow her first trap up. We're still laughing at her for that one.

All in all, come back, level up, there's lots of things to do, and they're all deadly and exciting.
Anaya

Postby Lommy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Die creatively and laughing out loud.

Even if i burn with Lommy 4-5 CSW and 1-2 Major memonics on elite, I don't mind with a good group, because it's simply fun.

All those rushers and "who the hell needs rogues? - guys" will think different, because at least in the side dungeons there are many nasty traps and secrets with locked treasures. Spot, search and dd are now more important and finally it makes sense even for Sisila to wear the right goggles, as the trap i blew up showed me. It was a quest on hard and i made it burst at a 7+40!! and i didnt find all trapboxes, or even spotted them. Well i wore the wrong goggles too... but 36/38/40 without +11/13 goggles is not that bad... One very nasty trap is hidden behind a secret door, you know the guys running a dungeon with true seeing and ignoring the rogue... oh a secret - open - zong - spears - jump back - zong - next spears. That are traps i like. And they did some nasty trap design. no longer massive iron spikes, where you are asking yourself how to hurt on it otherwise than having that heavy bar falling on your feet. Fancy blades, bloody spears, swords, slender sharp looking spikes, and breaking floors.

Social skills are asked, as in one quest you need all of them to get the chests at the end, swimming is important. not only underwater breathing. one part of a quest we didn't figure out yet has something to do with senses. only a few in the group get a hint behind which door death hides. There are also well hidden passages. The prison of the planes quest gives you a little overview about the planes and their inhabitants and you can finally heal your NPC allies.

Did i mention the DM in some quests? even better than the lilted *welcome traveller, you will learn to call this place home as i did* from the wiz king. Ask anaya.. he had to work while i was giggeling and laughing tears.

And Adjanah and Celeena (i know you are reading this ;P) ... get yourself nice weakening of enfeebling weapons. at lvl 13 you get a feat, that deals 2 str dmg with every successful sneakattack....

Even Lomea buffs now. Mass SR, mass aid and mass protection from evil. I love destruction, I love my 387 points heal, to kill the undead end boss, I love resurrection with half life in nasty battles, even my new efreeti pet is useful.

Disruption, paralyzing, banishing and smiting work even on subbosses on elite and are getting cheaper. Madstone crater on hard/elite with 5 disruptors and 4-5 paralyzers - Fun.

Cerulean hills. a wonderful landscape with some awsome views on Stormreach.

And the looot... well the loot... nice stuff :) best things dropping for me so far: +6 int goggles RR Halfling, +2 silver rapier of disruption, a tome and a remove curse clicky 3/d with +5 CON.

Short: Move your asses back into the game!! You are missing a lot of fun!

Your's,
Lommy
Lommy

Postby Ashan Mahar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:42 am

any new enhancements to the RP part of this MMORPG?
Ashan Mahar

Postby Anaya » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:05 pm

See, I still don't get what you mean with "RP part". RP is what you make of it.

If you have quests where teamwork is absolutely required - where the nimble rogue gets an amazing solo part, where the dungeons are so detailed storywise that the team can bring real tactics in, where the clever wizard gets riddles a la Gandalf to pour over -, there is plenty of opportunity to RP.

A sense of story and continuity? Hell yeah, and it's bloody scary too - yesterday, there was a worldwide broadcast which looked like this: "(DM Text) Wolfspirit and his party of adventurers failed to defeat Stormreaver. Make haste and gather and gather your allies, before the Dragons of Argonnessen take matters into their own hand." The Dragons of Argonessen have threatened to wipe out XenDrik if Stormreaver isn't stopped, and just delay the attack for a couple of weeks to give the heroes a chance to defeat the gathering army. I found it bloody scary, and it makes a perfect background for RP.

If you mean if there's new guildcommands that actually give Guilds RP meaning, like in EQ 2? No. There also is still no crafting system like in Ryzom. While there are a couple of new emotes, there are none of the quality of LOTRO or CoH, though I personally prefer DDO's animations.

RP is what you make of it, and the new quests certainly offer plenty of material.
Anaya

Postby Adjanah » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:31 pm

He may be referring to things like a walk animation that doesn't look like you've messed your pants, ability to sit on a chair, player housing, ability to climb things and not just slide off or hit an invisble wall.
Module 4 sounds good nevertheless though.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Return to The Lobby