Weight: 200lb
Birth: Mirial
Belief: Force-Associated Pacifism
Family: No relevant attachments
Hobbies: Reading, Walking, Playing & Listening to Music
Features: Tall, broad, notably muscular and pale green
Racial Features: Racial markings in a 'beard-like' form
Strengths: Patient, peace-loving and well-educated in many healing arts
Weaknesses: Strictly a Pacifist, slow to act, often over-confident, and stubborn
RP parameters: Deeply-rooted religious figure with very strong beliefs that often come to odds with modern approaches. Relatively wise and learned, a book-loved and educator at heart. Will always attempt Diplomacy first.

[Image Incoming]

Description: Vagando is a significantly single-minded Jedi Healer. Strictly a Sage this young Mirialan was raised in the traditional beliefs of the Mirial Homeworld like all young children of their kind. With his family deeply rooted in the more desolate regions of the planet, Vagando's education was exposed to the more radical ideas concerning the Force that all Mirialans believe is central to their lives. Specifically for his home-region, the Mirialan was taught extremist views on the value of peace - true Pacifism, never to harm another living soul. As he grew, this teaching manifested itself in an enthusiasm for the healing arts. When Vagando was taken by the Jedi he relented his Pacifistic views, willing to follow the teaching and the guidance the Jedi had to offer - obeying their orders even if it did cause the death of another. Yet despite this willingness to obey, when Vagandro is a Jedi in his own right, he will be free to choose his own path, and even the mild-mannered trials of a Padawan have left a sickness in his core, as he turns back to his beliefs that all life is Sacred to the Force, and no-one has the right or the wisdom to end it.

Please if you do get time to read this, I'd appreciate feedback! I don't want to put too much thought into making my character before starting play in TOR, but there's no harm in a little critique, and the better my character is from a role-playing perspective, the more fun he'll be to play, and hopefully to play with!

PS: I'm sure you can tell, he's obviously a team-player. Pacifists alone don't get very far, when MMO's have a lot of fighting in them. xD
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Re: My Character Concept - Critics Welcome!

Postby Adjanah » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:48 am

Sounds like a solid concept, but as you mention yourself, the pacifism can prove problematic since you will be forced (hahah) to kill people and creatures in the game, or at least be in a group that goes around killing people. How do you intend to play off that?
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:35 am

Always was a tricky concept for the D&D character (Oris, a Deva Cleric) I made a while back to beta-test the Pacifist concept.

From Vagandro's point of view, as a Jedi Sage with points in Seer, most of his aggressive abilities will be ranged force powers. Pushes, and throwing rocks or pebbles. Not quite as deadly as a lightsaber, perhaps enough so that he himself subdues foes, rather than kills them. It's not as if he's short on healing to patch them up afterwards.

Party-Members are a whole different story. Vagandro can't make them do anything, but he can try - which is a hook in itself.

As much as his Faith holds Peace in all things in high regard, it holds the truth in a higher stead. Vagandro is sworn to the Jedi Order, and thusly all his superiors. As a Padawan, he would obey instructions - avoiding killing whenever possible.

In a way, it's a new take on ol' Felaion. He never wanted to fight because he was afraid, but pushed into it by stronger superiors and a weeeeird sense of morality. Vagandro will be the same, reluctant ever to fight, but bound to do so by his word, not fear, and may even kill if ever that were requested of him.

As of yet, it has not...

What do you think, does this work as a solution?
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Adjanah » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:39 am

Only problem I see in it is possibility of party members to roll eyes if he gets overly preachy on the pacifism thing.

As a *character*, rather than something you play in a mostly combat oriented computer game, he sounds solid. It's just getting those two to mix without it either losing power ("I know I just cut that guy down with my lightsaber, but the bloody tank wasn't getting him off me!") OR getting annoying for your party members ("Christ dude, shut up about not killing these sith, I need 10 for my quest!").

Personally I try to always make characters I know will fit smoothly into whatever the gameplay us going to throw at me and leave the more complex character issues to show themselves ONLY through RP, but on the other hand I trust your abilities enough not to worry overly much about it.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Yup, you've pretty much highlighted the issues that are a problem, and I have to say I agree. I like to make characters that are always in tune with the game. (I dislike being ooc grinding, etc).

For this character, I'm hoping it'll slot into place. I think the Pacifism will be down-scaled, neither too in-your-face or sidelined. Enough to give him character - enough for him to speak up loudly against the trooper who's killing without discrimination - but not arrogant enough to think he knows best for everyone and everything.

Under perfect circumstances, things would be different. He accepts the necessity of doing his duty, regardless of how it goes against his fundamental beliefs. He's only responsible for his own choices, and that should keep him from being too preachery. I think. I hope.

Think it'll work?
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Felaion » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Actually, quick thought - I suppose the character isn't too dissimilar from Firefly's Shepherd. "Doesn't the Bible have some pretty strong things to say about murder, preacher?" "Aye, but it's a little more fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps."

Character with firm Beliefs, but thrust into a word where those are questioned and tested - hopefully with the aid of other well-written characters! I suppose my primary goal was to make a Jedi Consular that wasn't going to be like every -other- Consular.
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Felaion » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:18 am

Outdated - Undergoing overhaul
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Return to SWTOR: General