Vignette: Sayvara, the hearing

Character stories and events from around the galaxy

Vignette: Sayvara, the hearing

Postby Sayvara » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:26 am

========== TRANSCRIPT, part 2b ==========
Date : (REDACTED)
Interviewer(s): Major Sinide, Major Alderton
Interviewee: Captain Sayvara Aellan, commander of (REDACTED)

- Very well... let's move on captain. This altercation you had with a superior officer...

- Yes sir?

- You got physical.

- A bit sir...

- You punched out two of his teeth - molars - broke bones in his face and earned him a new cybernetic eye. I'd say that's more than "a bit". And that hand - I see it's in a cast - what happened to it?

- Bruised it against his face, sir.

- Your medical report says you "pulverized" three mid hand bones... that have been replaced by artifical implants.

- Yes sir.

- What do you have to say about that?

- I...

- Stop fidgeting and speak up!

- Sir, aye sir! Permission to speek freely, sir?

- Granted.

- The son of a hutt deserved it, sir. Either he was grossly incompetent or he sent us to die for nothing.

- I see you breathing just fine captain... you don't look dead to me.

- None of his doings sir.

- What happened?

- He fed us bad intel sir.

- Geez, why is it always when you spec ops guys fuck up you blame...

- Sir!! This was the real thing... crap intel. Far beyond anything you've ever heard of.

- Try me captain, I've heard alot on this review board.

- Sir... it was a recon mission on (REDACTED). We were told that according to intel the Empire was prospecting a new small base and we were sent in to scout it. According to the aerial photos it was small enough, and early enough in construction, to go in platoon-sized... eight men. Nice and neat.

- Go on.

- We ran into trouble quickly. The aether was thick with scanners... the big ones... not the small mobile ones you have at a construction site. We had to scrub the infil plan, start far out, improvise, sneak in valleys and gullys with the transport. We set down ten clicks out... was supposed to have been only three. Had a bad gut feeling already there, and asked for an exfil to re-plan. That got denied.

- So it was a long walk! Nothing you ain't used to. Are you seriously whining to me about having to stretch your legs a bit?

- Sir, we don't whine, sir! But if with every step you take you have to dodge patrols and sentry droids sir, scale laser fences and avoid booby traps, you know you're in for it. Infiltration was very slow. But we got in. That's when we discovered we had been screwed for real.

- How so?

- The aerial photos showed freshly started construction. What we ended up in was a finished staging base. The intel was between nine and eighteen months old.

- Geez...

- Yeah... we were a platoon walking right into a fully defended imperial base. And by the time we figured the out, our blippers...

- Blippers?

- Motion sensors sir... we leave them behind us to cover our exfil route. The blippers told us we had at least twenty to thirty units on our tails. Only now was command was telling us to pull out.

- Did you?

- Sir, no sir.

- So you disobeyed another direct order?

- Sir, there was no way we could have followed that order and lived. We... "got creative" instead.

- Now there's a term I hear alot from spec ops. What do you mean by "getting creative"?

- Using unorthodox tactics sir.

- And what was unorthodox in this case?

- We.... found the main entry road, stepped up to the gate and knocked.

- You what?!

- We figured the enemy would react just like that. The defences were clearly dimensioned for a heavy attack... aerial bombardments, heavy vehicle assaults and such. It's a perpetual weakness of the Empire they never could do both small scale and large scale defence at the same time. And in any case we weren't looking to bust into the place.... just to get out of it. For that we only needed access to the forecourt's Gas & Wash.

- The... ?

- The machine & scrub-down halls sir... always a large stock of vehicles there.

- Go on...

- The "door man" was easilly overpowered. Some clever UAV piloting by my operator caused some nuissance and confusion. My toastie...

- Your what?

- Toastmaster...

- Electronics warfare operative... jammer sir. Yeah... I know, bad pun. Anyway, ensign (REDACTED) managed to plant a full alert order into their system so...

- You told the entire base to go to full alert? What good would that do ya?

- Sir, there is no time more confusing than when you think you're about to get hammered to bits and everyone is scrambling to get to their stations, looking to the sky for the massive orbital bombardment they were just told was heading their way. Noone is looking for a group of speeders getting out of the place then. We found three in the work shop and busted out.

- Just like that?

- Just like that.

- Why dont I believe you captain?

- There... was some combat, sir.

- "Some" combat?

- Yes sir.

- How much is "some" combat?

- We... counted forty five confirmed kills on the armor-cams once we got hold of a fortified gun and managed to eliminate the patrols that were chasing us into the compound. That took a bit of doing though.

- How much doing?

- Two dead. Two grievously wounded... they are still in the bacta tanks.

- What happened to the dead?

- We had to incinerate the bodies in place, sir.

- Good grief...

- Orders were clear sir: no evidence leading back to the Republic since that would create an incident. Which is why sergant (REDACTED) and sergent (REDACTED) never got the appreciation they deserved... officially they died in "training accidents"... all thanks to that piece of...

- Stand down captain. We know you're... "mildly upset" about that.

- Sir, yes sir... my apologies.

- Am I to understand that this... "upset" is what caused you to seek out your superior officer after you finally exfiltrated?

- Aye sir. He was less than sympathetic to what had happened... expressed no regret or admission of fault.

- Why should he? If he was handed bad intel and passed it on to...

- He knew the intel was bad, sir. He had aptly removed the time stamps on the photos before handing them to us because he knew we require a much larger force if we thought the empire had progressed that far in their plans, or even called to scrub the mission all together.

- And you know this... how?

- The timestamps were missing, sir. They are normally never missing when the spooks give them out.

- So... you're saying the reason you maimed your superior officer is a complete lack of evidence he actually did anything wrong?

- Captain?

- Sir, that is what I'm saying sir. But normally...

- Enough. We've heard your witness statement captain and although we would be very sympathetic to you if I had any evidence of what you are saying... having a rough day at work still doesn't mean you have a free ticket to punch a superior officer's face in!

- Sir, no sir.

- So you are not denying it?

- Sir, no sir.

- And your whole defence is "severe emotional upset"?

- Sir, yes sir. Even excluding the personal emotional feeling that he put our asses on the line for nothing(!)... we also felt that he grossly misused a valuable resource of the Republic.

- What do you mean captain?

- Sir... we're not your average cannon fodder. Our unit is sent in for precise surgical strikes to do much harm to the enemy.

- Yes, yes, we all know the sales pitch...

- It's not a sales pitch, sir! Not even you have clearance to know half the things we have done, and the rest your commanders would wet thier pants if they got to see... which they can't. Teams like ours are an indispensible asset for the Republic. This isn't just about bragging rights sir. We are the best... and those pansies with robes and glowsticks can take that to the bank!

- But...?

- ...but this wasn't one of these occasions. Officer Harlen nearly had us killed for nothing and thus would have crippled the unit, either willfully or through gross negligence. Had this been a shooting war, sir, he would probably have faced charges of treason and been convinted as an influence agent of the Empire.

- Really? What do you say to that major?

- Most likely true... people have been executed less in hot wars.

- But we are not in a hot war now, are we captain?

- Not yet sir.

- What's that meant to mean?

- We did get the intel sir.

- I thought you said you just ran your sorry asses out of there with your tail between your legs.

- No sir... despite the fact his guts was hanging out of this body at the time, the last thing sergant (REDCATED) ever did in his life to steer the snoops - stealth listening droids - into place. They have been giving us intel ever since that suggest nothing less than that base is being prepped for a full scale war sir. Nuclear weapons, bio-wepaons, chem attack... the works.

- Sweet mother of...

- Exactly sir. From what I gather, top command is takning this very seriously.

- Well... uhm... in any case, the purpose of this hearing, captain, is to determine if you are fit to keep leading this unit and if you can be counted on when going to war.

- Sir... yes sir.

- Now let's proceed.

========== END TRANSCRIPT, part 2b ==========

Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Re: Vignette: Sayvara, the hearing

Postby Sythbo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:17 pm

((Personally I loved it. Expecially the Hearing Transcript format and the accuracy on both a Star Wars front and a Military op front. A good read, even chuckled a few times from genuine humour. Would recomend everyone gave this a propper read, some effort has gone into this))
Sythbo

Re: Vignette: Sayvara, the hearing

Postby Sayvara » Wed May 30, 2012 2:50 am

Sythbo wrote:((Personally I loved it. Expecially the Hearing Transcript format and the accuracy on both a Star Wars front and a Military op front. A good read, even chuckled a few times from genuine humour. Would recomend everyone gave this a propper read, some effort has gone into this))

(( Thanks alot. :) One of my more and more rare inspired moments where the text just flows. ))

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Return to SWTOR: The Library