Impressions of EQ

Impressions of EQ

Postby Adjanah » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:12 pm

I reached a realisation as I was wandering EQ yesterday. And it was not a nice one.

I have been playing the wrong MMO for 3 years.

EQ2 has the scale I've been looking for. Wandering Qeynos made me realise that. No stylized city like WoW's Stormwind. While it is zoned and most of it is shut off for the players, the impression was still that this place actually had the scale to be a big city. Huge plazas, huge buildings, and none of it in the exagerated size I've gotten used to in WoW. In WoW, the characters are basically too small. There, a normal doorway is 4 meters tall. A chair is the size of a desk. Here we finally had things that looked big, but were still in the proper scale, which just gave it all so much more credence.

I was pulled around to see some of the different zones, and was pretty amazed by the sheer diversity in them. While the age of the engine is apparent and the design still isn't as strong as that of WoW, we are talking about a very pretty game here. There are some really wonderful locations here.

The crafting system more or less rocks. While it does not have the complexity that alot of us yearn for, I know, it is still complex enough to actually make it interesting. No simply clicking a button and watching a bar move. I love it so far and will definately focus a good deal on crafting.

The interface IS clunky (yes, I know about custom ones, but I will review those seperately) and the combat system is pretty uninspired from what I've seen so far. Battles are still exciting though, and the sheer multitude of skills available is astounding. The main strength of the UI is its' ability to be pretty much set up like you want it to. Everything can be moved and edited to some degree, which is a big, big plus. Not even WoW had that sort of customizability.

The conclusion of my first impression of this game is not a pleasant one for me personally. I chose the wrong MMO back then. I made great friends in WoW, but apart from them I wish I had jumped on the EQ wagon instead of WoW. I have harbored a lot of prejudice for EQ that has been unfounded. I wish I had been there when the game was in its' "golden age". Because it is clear it isn't now. It looks basically to be the same situation as in WoW: Lots of great RP has happened there. But the game has reached the age where not alot besides the hardcore raiders are left. The world is pretty much empty of characters (on the Runnyeye server at least), apart from at the Brokers (EQ's "auctionhouse") and most likely the highlevel zones I've not been to yet.

We are as far as I can see definately doing the right thing in checking this game out. We can EASILY rp here. There is a HUGE world to be explored, and it is a good one. If we can hook up with some of the remaining RP'ers there occasionally, I should say we are set.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Re: Impressions of EQ

Postby Lildarwen » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:59 pm

I always knew EQ2 is alot better than WoW... too bad people ran to the mainstream 'Blizzard is great' stuff...

WoW did HELP EQ2 improve alot - but to be honest: nearly everything they have done they have stolen from SOE's ideas... and revamped it and made it a bit better.

As SOE looked at the things, Blizzard improved they made it themselves and Blizzard said they are stealing from them *sarcastic laugh*

But that's how the world is... just not .... just...
Lildarwen

Postby Archibold » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Wait...are you saying Runnyeye server is empty-ish ?
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Lirandel » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:22 pm

I dont think it makes a difference on which server we are on. Starter zones will always be empty. and some mid-level zones as well. This will not be Laurelin. Crowded and teeming with people. but that does not mean we will be alone. as stated by Kellidir. there are players out there who still rps. Let Kelli handle the community function for now. Get some people together etc. and if some of you have some old contacts that still plays the game even better.

But I truly do not think that it makes a difference on which server we play on, when we are speaking about how empty things are. Of course there are other factors like. How many peeps play RP at all. But still. I dont see this as an issue. We will make RP thus some people will react.

*salutes*
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Archibold » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:12 pm

Well EQ2 was never exactly packed. My only concern is , will we have people to group with at our level.
I know we will have great roleplay group. But being stuck at lvl 18 with nobody to group with is not fun at all.

This is not only my concern , but concern of many people starting EQ2.

But look - i am again starting my pessimistic crap. Please ignore me :arrow: :|
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Lildarwen » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:37 pm

I can offer a ton of characters on qeynos side: lvl 22 ranger (dark elf, betrayed), lvl 32 woodelf swashy (my original first EQ2 character) and a lvl 34 woodelf fury (healertype)... and don't forget: you can always mentor down in EQ2 to the party level. There is no 'cap' in grouping with this possibility.
Lildarwen

Postby kellidir » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:21 am

there is never an issue with grouping .... one word ... MENTOR :P
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Return to Everquest 2