Casimir Flameshield - Background explaining story.

In here you find all sorts of litterature, including crew rosters, maps, information, novels and such.

Casimir Flameshield - Background explaining story.

Postby Cromes » Sun May 06, 2007 3:17 am

The Light that the Flame gives...

A dark looking figure bends down and kneels. The room around him is silent, trashed and the smell of rot and decay hangs in the air. The only light source, a dying fire in what could resemble a fireplace casts a gloomy light on a middle aged mans face. He’s got a dark determination in his steel grey eyes as he scans the shadows. The eyes slowly close as the man starts mumbling softly, praying.
A drop of blood hits a broken shield lying in front of him and he quickly opens his eyes, alert yet still kneeling. His look follows the bloods trail from the waist of his plate and up to a small gap between his shoulder pads, where more blood slowly trickles out. He closes his eyes again and returns to his prayers, this time saying them out louder.

“… I ask for strength to deal justice this day, and forgiveness for not granting this… ‘Creature’ a worthy death.”

The man reaches out his hand and grabs hold of a crude metal plate, gruel still dripping from it, which is protruding from the face of a dead hobgoblin, half-sitting in front of him. He gives the plate a hard yank, pulling it free and the hobgoblins falls to the floor.
Flinging the plate aside, he stands up and looks around the former hobgoblin chief’s throne room. “I had to fight fifteen guards and what gets him in the end is a thrown piece of dishware”, Casimir thinks to himself, his face stern and hard as rock, not giving away a single emotion.
A sudden rumble lets him to raise an eyebrow and as he turns, one of the huge double doors barring the only exit from the room is smashed in, splinters flying everywhere. Emerging from the door is a huge troll, a chain around its neck flailing wildly. Several grim, ugly goblinoid faces can be seen in the doorway.

“The Silver Flame has ordered this compound cleansed. I am here to carry out your final judgement: Death. There can be no negotiations. Embrace it.”

No emotions, only a hard look accompanies the sentence. The hobgoblins gives the dead guards and their leaders scrambled face a worried look, but the troll simply charges the solemn, bloodstained templar who to any troll would seem like a fine, well packed meal. Casimir raises his sword…

… and removes the blood from it. The last hobgoblin dead and the building aflame, Casimir walks lonely out of the goblinoid camp. The flames would safely disperse of the three pieces of troll left in the throne room, as well as make sure no evil would base there again. Pleads for mercy… He had been merciful. A quick death in combat. They deserved no honour, yet he had granted them this.

5 years before…

“Casimir… No doubt you have had rough week… Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole year seems to have been one big dark hole! But damn it! Listen deep in your heart! I’m telling you this as a friend. For once tell them that you cannot carry out your duty! You know they shouldn’t even have asked you to do this!”

The voice was of the only friend he had left. Derek had stood by his side through bad and worse, which was what Casimir’s life seemed to consist of. Bad and worse… The Church had been trying his limits for a long time. And Derek had been right there, trying to help him through it. But… The Church had to have a reason. Derek was soft! Straying from the light! Straying from order… Justice wasn’t the ‘happy ending’. Casimir was very much aware of this now. Justice had to be served. And there was no such thing as ‘not liking it’. No room for weakness…

“’… one big dark hole’? No, my ‘friend’… Not dark. I am guided by the Light, and you know that. The Silver Flame IS the light. And I will carry out the duty that the light bestows on me,” Casimir replied coolly, with a voice that as always only sounded either hard and stern or completely stripped of feelings.

Friend… Even Casimir himself could hear how the word had started sounding odd when he said it. As if it didn’t fit him to say it anymore. Honour, Duty and Justice had taken its place. Allies and foes, no friends.
Casimir turned and walked out the door.

“I will carry out my duty, Derek...”

Two giant doors opened without a sound. Casimir walked into the Great Hall of the church. He had left his and Derek’s room fully equipped; his heirloom, a golden full plate made of the precious mithril, strapped on tight, his sword sheathed by his side, and his shield fixed to his nearly full backpack. He knew that he would not return to Stormreach anytime soon, so there was no idea in leaving behind anything he might need on the other sides of the great walls.
The hollow echo from the clang of his boots hitting the stone floor was the only sound heard. In all its beauty, the Great Hall had a sense of coldness about it, the stones having absorbed some of the corruption from the plans that the guardians of light, in the secrecy of the thick walls, had conducted here. The guards standing like statues by the doors did nothing to help the sensation. Casimir was completely unaware of all this, though. As sharp as his senses were, they all were on standby when he was in here. He had nothing to fear. Not here.
He walked slowly and emotionlessly towards the ministers of the Flame seated in the middle of the hall, and kneeled in front of them. His feelings were buried deeper than ever, only leaving behind a feeling of duty and honour. Derek had said that ‘there was no honour in standing before the ministers when it regarded something like this’. But Casimir knew what they represented. He knew that they spoke the words of the Silver Flame.

“Greetings, young Flameshield. Are you ready to carry out your assignment?” one of the elderly men asked him.
“Yes, minister Tarmikos. I am ready to carry out my duty.”
“Very well. Your assignment is to bring a culprit to justice. He has been sentenced death and you are to find him and carry out the execution. As unorthodox as this may seem, he has been deemed to dangerous for us to attempt arrest and trial,” the other minister continued.

A short pause followed, the ministers obviously awaiting a reaction from Casimir. It never came.

“Ahem,” the third minister broke the silence. “We hereby bestow on you, young Casimir, by the power invested in us by the Silver Flame, that you bring to justice Selven Flameshield, son of Traorin Flameshield. Your brother…”

[Work in progress. Any feedback much appreciated, as I'm not much of a poster/writer/whatever. Also, this is from my post at the Shards forum, since Casimir is a Shard. Hehe.. I'll try and remember to update both places. (as if you cared. ;))]
Just see speedbumps as mini-ramps!
Cromes

Return to The Library