Deridne

Short stories, maps, bios...it all goes in here.

Deridne

Postby Lirandel » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:24 am

((This is a tidbit I wrote some years back. I found it lying in my old archives. And well as it fits perfectly with Lirandel, I couldnt neglect the opportunity heheh :wink: This one occurs just after Sauron the Deceiver is found out...)

Why?

Lirandel had been searching throughout the sanctuary tree for his young wife. He finally discovered her in the library on the fourth floor. She was seated near the window, in order to catch the last rays of the afternoon sun. He heard the scratcing of her pen across parchment before he saw her, and he smiled to himself,

"I have caught her this time."

Soft-footed, he padded up to the door and peered inside. She sat in a pool of sunlight, her head bowed, working with such concentration that he knew he could have stomped up the stairs and she would not have heard him. He paused a moment to admire her, to realize – awed and wondering – that she loved him as he loved her, a love their years of marriage had strengthened, not diminished.
Her long white hair was brushed loose and tumbled over her shoulders, down her back. Usually, these days, she wore her hair pulled back, the shining strands twisted in a chignon at the base of her neck. The severe style suited her; gave her an air of dignity and stature quite useful in negotiations with the council, who (those who did not know her) sometimes tended to treat the elven woman like a child – well meaning but interfering in adult affairs. That generally lasted for only fifteen minutes, by which time Deridne had them sitting up and taking notice.
She was the diplomat and healer of the family; her husband the planner. They worked well together as a team, for Deridne was quick to glide smoothly where Lirandel would have trampled roughshod. And he could offer her insight into the mind and heart of tactics and strategy – areas she was eager to learn and found baffling. She was beautiful, so beautiful that Lirandels heart ached to look at her.

And we are together.

”Got you”

Lirandel shouted triumphantly and bounded into the room. Deridne gasped
and jumped. A guilty flush spread over her face. Hastily, in considerable confusion, she attempted to hide the writing by covering the paper with another blank sheet.

”What is that?”

Lirandel demanded, glaring at her in mock severity.

”Only a list,”

Deridne ventured, shuffling more papers on the desk.

”A list… of things i have to do while we’re at your parents home – No! Gwaedhon, stop it!”

He made a deft grab and snatched the paper out from beneath her hand. Laughing, she tried to recapture it by capturing him, but he backed out of her reach.

”My dearest Lord Efilad,” ”he read, ”I have reconsidered my stance in the matters of the Principles of the Bruinen Compact and look forward to our meeting at the Moonlight – ”

Lirandel shook the paper accusingly at his wife.

”you were working!”

”Just a letter to Efilad,”

Deridne protested, her flush deepening.

” he is wavering – he’s given me a proposition and is ready to negotiate. I thought perhaps a nudge –”

”No nudging,”

Lirandel intoned. He hid the letter behind his back.

”You promised. You made me promise! No work for you and no training for me. We’re home at last, after a month travelling. This is to be our time –yours and mine.”

”I know.”

As Deridne hung her head, her hair drifted about her in a radiant cloud.

”I’m sorry.”

She sidled near him, put her hands on his chest, and playfully smoothed his shirt collar.

”I promise. I won’t do it again.”

She kissed his cheek. He started to kiss her, but at that moment she reached around him, caught hold of the letter, and snatched it from his grasp. Of course, he couldn’t refuse such a challenge. He caught hold of her and the letter. The letter eventually fluttered to the floor, forgotten.

The two stood by the window, warm and comfortable in each other’s arms.

”By the Valar!”

Lirandel swore, nuzzling his chin in his wifes white hair.

”look – there’s a Sentinel of War riding up the road.”

”Oh, not a guest!”

Deridne sighed.

”A War Sentinel. We’ll have to hear her out. I should go down-”

”No, don’t!”

Deridne clasped her husband tighter.

”If you go, you’ll be courtesy-bound to invite her in and this sentinel wil consider herself courtesy-bound to stay. There goes your sister Alendil up to meet her. Alen can handle her.”

”I believe she can at that”

Lirandel replied closing his eyes savouring the moment of peace his wife always induced him with when she was near.

"If I had known that would be the last moment of peace before the war with the deceiver I never would have dared letting go of my loving wife. Now, like Alen, cousins and mother, she was gone. swept away with the winds of war drums, cold steel and despair.

Why? Why did they have to die?"
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Re: Deridne

Postby Haelewulf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:25 am

Lovely, bro! :) Always nice to see the heart behind our marble-exteriored leader... :D
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Felaion » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:41 am

*claps and cheers*
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Adjanah » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:11 am

Lovely, Lira. Always a pleasure to get a bit deeper insight into the tight knot that is Lira's mind... ^^
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby kellidir » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:30 pm

((fantastic stuff. and great to see how much Lirandel has fallen/changed))
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Saerid » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:38 pm

Yay! :D
Saerid

Return to LOTRO: The Library