Child of Dread (night of 25.6.07)

Short stories, maps, bios...it all goes in here.

Child of Dread (night of 25.6.07)

Postby Tharynien » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:11 pm

OOC: Followed events are described by the view of Tharynien, I am hoping the others attended will post their views :) So it will become a big story of intertwining views. I have modified Tharynien's view for others to fill in points

Tharynien stared into the fire, the old, weathered book in her lap. Candil was sitting next to her, reading slowly forward the book. She let her gaze quickly be distracted by the merry laughter and the songs sung. Odd peace filled her. A peace filled with dread. She could not get the words out of the elven lady just a moment ago as she was in the bar.

Since when our folk, the pride ones, have become quiet mice?

Tharynien bit her lip and sighed. When had she changed like this? She let her eyes drift back to the calm notes of the book. She knew the answer. Damn well she did.

The lively chatter slowly died out as one by one the merry Brothers and Sisters of the Thorn left the room. Only Tharynien and Candil was left. Tharynien kept her concentration on the tattered pages. She noted the lone passer-by entering the room. A blind man who wished to sit for a moment. It was no bother, though the dread did not vanish from her heart. Especially with strangers around.

Some moments passed, the blind man eventually left. Though it was not long before a new face appeared, silently walking to stand behind them. Tharynien heard Candil quering what the stranger wished and he answered oddly:

"Are you enjoying yourselves, ladies?"

The stranger left. Tharynien started feeling awkward. There seemed to be no privacy in there.
And then, the stranger came back and whispered to them

"Come with me"

It was then Tharynien froze. Her mind sluggishly tried to fight against the notion. Though before she knew it, she was up on her feet. Compelled to move as the shining blade was drewn to provoke a hastier reaction of movement.

She stepped outside. It was raining. Her vision was covered in the blur of her tears. She was trembling violently. Though her walking was automatic.

"I will die tonight. something said in her head.
"I will die like my father!

Flashbacks. The wagon. The band of thieves. Her father laying facedown the ground. Dead.
Tharynien lost her will to think about anything else.

Her steps where shaky. She took a mistep, where the elven bandit directed them towards the stone stairs. She saw his hand rising and a flash of pain met her face.
Her kindred hit her. And anew sound ring in her ear

"It is the kin of man who are treatcherous. Trust your kind."
Tharynien was lost. Lost in the pain. The pain of her mind.

Her blurred vision saw someone she knew riding close by. Candil was kicked down the stairs
"leave us" Barked the bandit.

It was Haelewulf!
"Haelewulf!" She heard herself scream from the top of her lungs.

She was following now behind the bandit. Candil was a smaller figure down the stairs. Was she allright?

Tharynien stared into the distance. She somehow recognized Haelewulf appearing and he and the bandit vanished somewhere, swords drawn.

"Am I dead?"

Lady Kellidir and Candil took care of her.

Her mind was sluggish. Fixed on the image of her father dead.

The rain kept falling. Her face was swollen from the buise. Her cheek slashed open from the impact point.

Her feet kept walking. Walking. Till they reached a house.

"I think she has braindamage" She heard someone say. A familiar voice. Candil? [...]

"She will be allright" [...]

"Sleep Tharynien" [...]
ex LOTRO: Tharynien
SWG: Hannah Moonwood, Numa'
AoC: Rashi, Oshnei
SWTOR: Muun (smuggler, scoundrel/healer)
Saraja (Jedi, sentinel)
Tharynien

Postby Sayvara » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:18 pm

(( Dang! Seems I missed some really interresting play :) ))

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Lirandel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:25 pm

I Will bloody kill that son of a #¤%"%%!"% :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

((Hope it was awesome :P ))
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Haelewulf » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:37 pm

(( OoC: Good night last night!! :-D Here’s Wulf’s perspective… some of it may gel a little more once I post another write-up about the days leading up to the assault on Trestlebridge.))

It had been a long day, and stressful, and Haelewulf was somewhat relieved when the Thorn began to disperse at last. He and Kelli made their way down the Inn Road of Bree, much on their minds as they headed for the stables to pick up Wulf’s steed before returning home for the night.

Haelewulf paid the stablehand, taking the reins of his proud bay with one hand and taking Kelli’s hand with his other. Just as they reached the West Gate, however, a scream rent the air. Kelli and Wulf froze, and looked at each other, then wordlessly spun around. Kelli ran back up the road towards the source of the cry, while ‘Wulf flung himself into the saddle, lashing his horse to speed with the reins as they sped along the old Inn Road.

Haelewulf drew rein sharply barely a hundred meters further up and leapt from the saddle. His eyes took in the scene quickly; Candil, bloodied and sprawled at the foot of the stone stairs, a knife a short distance from her hand; Tharynien, a look of mute terror on her face, blood oozing from a cut high on her cheek; and a shadowy hooded figure standing close to Tharynien, his head close to hers.

“Haelewulf!!” Tharynien screamed again as she recognized him, and in an instant, rage swamped Wulf. Bounding forward, he vaulted Candil’s prone body, noting from the corner of his eye Kelli running up, moving to check on Candil. Taking the stairs three at a time he ran forward, halting as the hooded figure turned away from Tharynien with a frustrated hiss.

“Leave us! This does not concern you!”

Wulf’s voice rang with fury as he replied. “You think not, cur? You presume to raise your hand to my friends, and are fool enough to think there will be no reckoning?”

The shadowed assailant slid a greatsword from a sheath at his back, grinning. “None come between Rahiras and his meat!”

Haelewulf laughed coldly as he unsheathed his own blades with a metallic ring. “At least I know what to write on your headstone! Know that you face Haelewulf, son of Phindor… and death.”

The cloaked assailant seemed to hesitate. “Maybe… we’ll let this end here…”

Haelewulf’s eyes were cold with rage. “Outside city limits, cur. We will finish what you have so foolishly begun.” Levelling Ladgris at the stranger’s throat, Wulf marched him down the stairs, along the road and outside the West Gate.

They faced each other in front of the bridge. Haelewulf swept a blade up in salute, anger in every line of his face. “Ready?”

The stranger reached up and pushed back the hood of his cloak… revealing the pointed ears of an Elf. He spun his blade. “Aye!”

Astonishment threatened to overcome Haelewulf. An Elf? Striking another? Waylaying innocent women? All the rage he felt suddenly flared white-hot, and he suddenly saw again the fire in the village, saw the killing blow dealt to the tribal champion, saw the savage glee… and embraced it. The fury coalesced into a desperate need to wound, to hurt, to kill… and yet it was cold, and controlled. Suddenly, a swift death at the edge of his blades would not be enough for the stranger… Haelewulf gazed at the Elf, death in his eyes, and spun his blades in his hands, kneeling and driving them into the earth at his feet. Standing weaponless, he prepared for the Elf’s attack.

Suddenly Kelli was there. “Wulf… I could fight him…”
Haelewulf spoke calmly, coldly, his voice more terrible than it ever had been while he was angry. “He is mine.”

The blow came fast, but Wulf was faster. Ducking the blade, he swiftly drove an elbow into his opponent’s stomach, stepping forward and shoulder-charging the Elf backwards. As Rahiras stumbled back, Haelewulf smoothly disarmed him, flinging the two-hander into the nearby river.

“So you like to strike women, do you?” Wulf’s voice dripped venom. The Elf looked at the warrior, anger in his face, and for the first time, fear in his eyes. Resolve hardened on his countenance, and he leapt forward launching a flurry of punches toward Wulf’s head.

A cold laugh came from Haelewulf’s mouth as he almost casually batted aside the attacks, Lirandel’s training and his own skills long forgotten combining to deadly effect. His face was transformed as he bared his teeth viciously, suddenly altering the flow of combat and smashing blow after crushing blow into his opponent’s face and body, each punch perfectly controlled and directed to cripple and injure.

The Elf stumbled back, blood flowing freely, unable to land a hit on Haelewulf. Looking around desperately he leapt to the top of the bridge, trying for higher ground. With a feral expression, Haelewulf followed.

Standing atop a parapet of the bridge, the Elf launched a last desperate assault, using both hands to smash down at Wulf. Using a trick learned from Lirandel, Wulf dodged the blow, throwing his opponent off balance, and moved in close.

In a move he’d thought he’d never use again, Haelewulf drove his forehead into his opponent’s face.

The light faded from the Elf’s eyes, and he fell from the bridge to land sprawled in the mud beside the river.

Leaping down beside the Elf, Haelewulf looked down contemptuously at the fallen foe, savouring the victory, and moved closer to break the Elf’s neck, but Kelli was already there. The sight of her brought Wulf back to himself, and with a gasp he turned away, leaning against the stone of the bridge.

Kelli looked up, her expression unreadable. “He’ll live…” Wulf nodded wordlessly, then turned to walk back to the house.

His mind was distant as he and Kelli reached the house, and Candil and Tharynien arrived several minutes later. He removed his bloodstained gauntlets, opening his weapon chest and giving Candil an Elven shortsword. Leaving Kelli to tend to the catatonic Tharynien, Wulf armed himself and wordlessly left to see what had become of the assailant.

He was gone, but the tracks led away towards the Old Forest. It was beginning to rain, and so rather than waste further time trying to follow a disappearing trail, Wulf returned to the cottage.

He returned to find Tharynien coherent and speaking again, and then made himself comfortable, securing the door of the cottage before slipping into sleep in front of the fire, Kelli joining him, Candil sleeping on the bed while Tharynien sat beside her, her eyes distant…

((*grins* It was immensely satisfying... and the write-up is a fair representation of how one-sided it was :-P ))
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Sayvara » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:51 pm

(( Interrestning. Thank you Wulf :) ))

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Haelewulf » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:28 pm

((*grins* You'd have loved it, Sayv... although we'd have probably had to fight each other first in our eagerness to put the smackdown on him :-D ))
Haelewulf

Postby Tharynien » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Tharynien looked at Candil, Kelli and Haelwulf as she whispered:
"Please, I do not wish the Captain to know about this.." her voice miserable and embarassed...

"Do not bring trouble with you Tharynien. Your purpose is to keep it at bay. Bring hope. Do not let me down, my daughter"
ex LOTRO: Tharynien
SWG: Hannah Moonwood, Numa'
AoC: Rashi, Oshnei
SWTOR: Muun (smuggler, scoundrel/healer)
Saraja (Jedi, sentinel)
Tharynien

Postby Haelewulf » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Haelewulf nodded soberly. "Your secret is safe with us, my lady."

((Sorry, Tharyn... forgot about that bit! :-s))
Haelewulf

Postby Lirandel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:23 pm

((I think that would be a very good idea. Unless you want Lira to put the head of an elf at the south Bree gates. Like he did in Gondamon... :? ))
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Archibold » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:48 pm

(( why not ? I would buy some cheese to nibble on ,while i watch the show ! ))
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Lirandel » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:56 am

((DOH!!!))
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Haelewulf » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:24 am

((Here is a rather inaccurate but still entertaining transcription of our interview by the Watch in the Pony. If you look at their index, you'll find a description of Rahiras has been posted as well. :-D All in all, quite nicely done!
http://thewatch.forum5.com/viewtopic.php?t=12&mforum=thewatch
Oh... and Rahiras is in actual fact a man... but I assume we're keeping to the story of his being an Elf? If not, changes can be made, no sweat. :) Half-elf, maybe! :-D))
Haelewulf

Postby Lirandel » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:31 pm

((On the other hand. nobody messes with a Thorn and gets away with it. Ever! This is a good chance to show the rping community that we take care of our own. Hm if it is no problem for the rest of you. Lira will find a way to learn about this incident IC... Let the hunt for Rahiras begin... I hope...))
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby kellidir » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:37 pm

(( It can be arranged master :wink: ))
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Haelewulf » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:45 pm

((Might be a tad risky though, boss... According to the OOC portion of the Watch reports, he's powerlevelling about as fast as I was back in the day... 1 or 2 levels a day. He was around the mid-twenties when I whupped him, and he's a champion, so with fervour that's a 17% damage boost on top of everything else. Emote duelling is futile with him, since he's a god modder, so sparring is the only route. Just something to bear in mind, as the last thing we need is for Lira to be beaten because of game mechanics... )) :?
Haelewulf

Next

Return to LOTRO: The Library