Report: speed-marching

Short stories, maps, bios...it all goes in here.

Report: speed-marching

Postby Sayvara » Thu May 31, 2007 9:17 am

Chief

As ordered I put some the "civilians" through the Preparedness & Endurance exercise. The set-up was the standard thing: speed-march with little time to prepare and no provisioning stops along the way (i.e. carry everything with us from the start). The length of the march was from Bree to The Shire. Three so far has completed it, with various results, reported below.

Adjanah was the first one out. She had no orders for the day so I dropped it on her lap after breakfast. The gal is stubborn as a mule and her endurance could be better. I eventually got her to The Shire in three quarter of normal walking time... but so much time was spent encouraging, cajolling, ordering, bribing (with strawberries) and eventually pulling rank on her that I believe with a bit of dicipline and training, she can easilly make it in twice the normal tempo.

Kellidir and Felaion walked the opposite path. For their turn I slapped a little roleplaying on them, the normal military way of dropping a backdrop scenario for them. But in essence it was the same deal. Felaion was grumbling all the way but he did trudge on. Kellidir was the most stalwart of all three and kept marching despite her injury. She kept herself at the limit and would have injured herself further if I hadn't eased up for her. In order to not tear it up though I eventually lightened her load.

As they reached their goals I gave them two days leave and treated them to the best rooms at the Green Dragon Inn and the Prancing Pony respectively. The bills have been attached for you to sign and send payment to the respective owners.

The exercise was a success in that it did the following:
  • Heightened their physical endurance. This will be especially clear if repeated about bi-weekly or monthly
  • Gave them insight into their true capabilities. They were all surprised at the short time it took them to travel the length. People in general always underestimate what they are really able to do with about 50%... they can do twice as much as they think.
  • It gave me some insight into their personas when pushed and tried to the limit.

I have started to draw up individual training programs for each of them. All in all, things are looking positive for the Thorns. I believe I can make them all fit for rougher times.

signed
/Sayvara, first officer of the Black Thorn
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Return to LOTRO: The Library