[RP] Feeling like a sucker...

Events, event planning and evaluation.

[RP] Feeling like a sucker...

Postby Sayvara » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:42 am

(( Do join in. The setting is the morning after the disastrous encounter at Chetwood/Midgewater. The wounded have been moved back to Combe and ordered to rest up at the Combe & Wattle where it is relatively safe. Having moved back in the wee hours of the morning means that few saw them coming. ))

Sayvara is in the back yard. She has gotten hold of some sturdy scarecrows to use for sparring... or rather: destroying. Her whole being radiatues fury. While it is clear she at least tries to sparr, her greatsword lands with such force in the unfortunate dummies that straw and splinters fly all over the place. Not even a man in full armor would walk away from blows like that and not at least concider the validity of this whole "War is glorious" thing. And it definately settles the whole debate about whether or not women should do battle...

- I was right!

*CRASH* An arm of the second scarecrow thuds against the wall.

- It was a damned trap!!

*SMASH* The head of the dummy is cleaved in two.

- And he played me for a damned FOOL!!!

With an overhead swing the sword splits the dummy, including its wooden "spine" from head to crotch. The thing falls in an unrecognizable heap at the ground.

Her breath is fast and hard... even in the chilly late autumn morning there is sweat on her brow. Maybe the effects of the smoke are still lingering in her, making her a bit fatigued... but she is still venting all the frustration and anger of being beaten at her own game. And if anyone in the Thorn didn't already know it, it is now clear as the moon last night: she's a friggin' sore loser...
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Re: [RP] Feeling like a sucker...

Postby Felaion » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Harain Firebeard, only Dwarf in the Company of the Black Thorn manuvers carefully around the corner of the building. His hand is on his axe haft, his eyes ready and his stance alive as he heads for the source of the commotion. Only when he notices the lone figure does he relax, and approach.

"Bloody 'ell lass! Wha' be gittin ye into such a state?"
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Sayvara » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Sayvara twirls around with a snarl... her sword at the ready, a vicious look on her face. A couple of seconds pass before she relaxes and lowers the blade slightly.

- Master Firebeard...

She nods slightly in greeting and turns her attention to putting the third scarecrow into position for being reduced to toothpicks and splinterwood.

- I take it the messenger didn't get to you in time, hm?

The tone is ambiguous... it could be interpreted as an accusation, or simply an inquiry.
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby kellidir » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:34 pm

Kellidir sits down outside the inn with a bucket of water, washing the blood from her hands. She looks tired, like she hasn't slept at all during the night. Quietly she carries on scrubbing while watching the pair of them talk.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Sayvara » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Sayvara notices Kelli having come out... holding up her hand towards Harain, interrupting his answer.

- How are they doing Kelli? How long before they can go back into action?!
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby kellidir » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm

"Wulf's got a hole in his back", looks up at Sayvara, her expression a mix of tiredness and warning "any fighting or sparring is just going to rip that hole back open right now. The rest depends on him, I can't be entirely certain how much the poison will have effected how long it will take him to recover."

Kelli looks back at the inn door for a moment and then carries on scrubbing her hands "The others were up and moving by themselves, they'll be fighting fit soon enough, just give them a couple of days."

"As for me," Kellidir looked up at Sayvara "The village pretty much knows theres a surgeon in the inn ... I've had a half dozen visits already. I tend to them ... but only because its the easy way to keep them quiet so he can sleep."
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Sayvara » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Sayvara hears her... muttering silently at first... the quiet stream of curses flaring out into a raging outburst. If a scarecrow could cower it would have as she swings at it with all her strength. A cloud of straw explode as she splits it diagonally... the blade bounces on the cobbelstones, striking several bright sparks.

- We're friggin' celebrities! How are we going to be able to work if we have to lend our help to every little peasant that comes running to us begging for help?!

She lifts her sword again, about to strike at the stump of the doll one more time. But the swing doesn't come... she looks drained... slowly letting down the sword. With a deep sigh she concludes:

- It's what we are here for... isn't it? Damn...

Muttering she adds, mostly to herself...

- It was easier when I was just a hire-blade... noone to care about other than the client.

Sheathing the large blade she turns to Kelli.

- How are you holding out? Any word from Candil about when she can come to relieve you?
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Lirandel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:03 pm

He lit his pipe and pulled. Watching the smoke curl around him with curisosity. He sat watching the dwellers of Bree go to and froh about their business. The smoke tasted spicy, the way he liked it, with a subtle after taste of apples. It always made him think of Adjanah. When she was just a child of 5 summers. Playing hide and seek among the apple trees with her friends. He smiled and pulled from his pipe.

He nodded as a man came walking by his arms full of branches, the man looked oddly at him. As if he never had seen an elf enjoying pipeweed before. Let alone in Bree. Then again it wouldn't be a surprise. His kin was after all too restricted in their ways. But to adopt customs of the other races had its uses in negotiations. This was one of them. Eventhough it was a strange one.

His thoughts turned and swirled like the smoke from his pipe, recapturing the moments that had happened the night before. Sayvara and Haelewulf had barely made it. And even, when he wanted to yell out to her it was a trap from the get go. He knew all to well. That Sayvara, he corrected himself, the Liutenant, had to learn the responsability of being an officer. Ánd by this leader training gain the Thorn's respect. She was headstrong yes. And capable in combat. But during battle she had a hard time fathoming what the other Thorns were capable of. Like Sunniva. This girl had proven ressourceful beyond her years. She had the basic instinct of survival mixed with a clear focus and subtle abilities. But to put Sunniva in a flanking position was not the optimal solution for one of her character. Out in the front, scouting making her abilities count that is where he would have placed her. The girl needed her room to operate. In short... Yes... The Liutenant had trained them, but it was a fatal error not utilizing them correctly. She had to understand the very nature of those she worked with and he had to let her try... And try again... Eventually she would learn from her prior mistakes. Yes... She was headstrong indeed. If all else failed the Thorn would let him know.

His thoughts turned rationally after concluding on the subject. Gwann... So he had been right after all about The lone rider that had been following them for days. Even, when they made the last ride with Tharynien he had been there. He nodded to himself and pulled slowly from the pipe.

Gwann... The assassin was known for his many quirks. Especially the odd behaviour of only killing his marks on the Day of Two Trees. Interesting... An error on his part for sure. It was to state a point. If it derived from personal loss of a person or loss of pride, keyed to that specific day... Time would tell. The Quartermaster in Minas Tirith had spoken of this. But still he had to admit that the assassin had been ressourceful and cunning even when allmost defeated. They could all have been dead. Then again... Would he have killed them? He saved Wulf. Because Wulf apparently in Gwann's twisted sense of logic had honor and courage. He shrugged and pulled on his pipe, eyeing the patrons in front of the Prancing Pony cheering on for the maiden to fetch more ale for their needy throats.

Several mistakes had been made on Gwann's part for sure. If they were concious and if he knew he had made them in the first place. Was an interesting problem. A feint within a feint... Or just filled with animosity and hatred towards himself... Interesting...

He nodded to himself deep in thought as he came to a conclusion about the nature of their new threat.

He would have to urge the Liutenant in the right direction. Then again. The Thorn might do that as well. Either way, her training would have to proceed, whether he liked it or not...
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby kellidir » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:07 pm

Kellidir shook her hands, shaking the water from them. "I've asked her to get me some supplies." She lifted the bucket and walked over to nearest spot of grass and threw the contents out.

Kellidir wearily walked back to sayvara, "I'm so tired ... but I can't sleep..." she looked up at window to the small room where she had left Haelewulf "Maybe when he wakes..." She walked back to the door of the inn, her boots scrapping along the floor.

((kelli will treat any visitors and almost certainly fall asleep by wulf either when he wakes, or through sheer exhaustion. See you all late wednesday night))
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Sayvara » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:23 pm

- Kelli, you have to let Candil take over. She's skilled enough to patch people u... Kelli!

She swears again as Kellidir disappears inside. Moving over to get her jacket hung on a nail near Harain.

- To answer your question master dwarf: we got our sweet behinds kicked from here 'til next tuesday. Wulf and myself are apparently lucky to even be alive. An assassin set a trap for us and I walked us right into it!

She sighs again... looking grim and angry with herself as she pulls the dwarf-made jacket over her shoulders.

- I should have listened to my gut instinct... I was right! Everything was by the book and he still pulled our friggin' pants down. I should have fallen back and cut him in the side. I should have...

Clearly she's beating herself up about the whole thing.
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Sunniva » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:33 pm

(( Picture your self as the viewer. If you want to, that way this makes even some sense ))

As you walk in the Combe & Wattle, you notice that Sunniva has crawled on one of the benches near the fire and is sleeping. She breaths softly and seems like she hasen't have any kind of excitement at all that night. The only thing that indicates that she actually was there, is small bandage on her leg, which she apparently tied up her self.
As you watch her restfully sleeping, you have to wonder. How does she do that? Sleeps so peacefully? Docent she care?
Sunniva moved a bit and the light from the fire reveals her face and she seems to be smiling. In there, she looks like innocent, cute young girl, and not the though fighter that she is awake. (( You might even remember how she tenderly took care of Sayvara after the battle )) All this makes you wonder who she really is, and what is all behind her. It all most makes you want to wake her up, and ask her...
Sunniva

Postby Felaion » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:30 pm

"Assasin?" Harian spits crudely onto the floor "Filthy honourless bastards. Who be it?"

"An' dun' put yerself down so much lass... I'm sure it nay be yer fault. There be nay anythin' more deadly than an assain who knows 'ow ye think. So, tell me wha' appened."
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Sayvara » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:31 pm

Sayvara nods towards the back door of the Inn.

- Let's grab some breakfast and I'll tell you all about it.

As Elisabeth puts forth a sturdy meal worthy of a hungry dwarf and an even hungrier Sayvara she lets him know everything... about the stranger that looked her up; about her suspicions and precautions; about the first brigand camp and the dummy used as bait; about the decision she was forced to make...

- Damnit Harain... I just knew it. The whole thing was such an obvious trap I just... my gut-feeling was spot on... as it had been all from the beginning.

She sighs and downs a shot of whiskey.

- But at the heat of the moment... the sound of that woman screaming... Kelli and Wulf urging us on... Lirandel barking at me to decide... I went against what I believed and barged right in there.

Her elbows on the table... her face in her hands.

- I made the right call on the formation though. I couldn't put anyone but me and Wulf in harms way... we were the only ones equipped to take a beating. Kelli close by to assist... she saved Wulf. And Lirandel and Sunniva on the sides as eyes. Had any of them been in the center they would have been run through and through by that arrow. I made the right call there at least...

Another sigh... and she pours herself a new shot of whiskey... pausing before she continues the tale.
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Felaion » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:05 pm

As Harian eats hungrily, taken aback by her superior desire for food, he listens carefully. Nodding at crucial points, he seems to take in everything that is said, and thinks it through.

"Lass, I said nay blame yerself so much. I nay see a mistake on yer part, 's all learning."

"Aye, ye played into 'is 'ands, bu' ye're all still alive, an' tha's wha' counts!"

"Please, continue... an' think. 'ow do ye kill a snake?"
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Haelewulf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:30 am

"You cut off its head."

Wulf speaks from the doorway, the colour in his cheeks belying the events of the night before. His stance is slightly stiff, however, and he is obviously doing his best not to reopen the wound in his back.

Making his way over to the table, he gingerly eases himself into a chair.

"This is hardly a typical situation, however, Firebeard. We cannot yet conclude that the fellow who so easily outmaneuvered us isn't acting for personal reasons... he has, unless I miss my guess, been tracking us for some time, perhaps even before Tharynien's memorial. The snake and the head may be one and the same. Lirandel doubtless knows more, but at least he has shown himself, and we now know what he is capable of. Though his motives are murky to say the least..."

Wulf's face is pensive, and it is obvious that he is musing on why the assailant allowed him to live.
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Next

Return to LOTRO: History in the making