[RP] Feeling like a sucker...

Events, event planning and evaluation.

Re: [RP] Feeling like a sucker...

Postby Sayvara » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:40 am

The stable-boy at the Forsaken inn looks up at the ceiling of the makeshift stables. A steady stream if droplets falls from a few spots. He sighs as he knows he will have to get up on the roof and fix them... again. And as if things couldn't get worse he hears thunder. The rain and mists this season are bad enough here at this damp forgotten part of the world... now he has to deal with a thundershower as well!

Hm... thunder? This time of year?! He walks outside and listens. Is it really... ? No... it's something else. The rumbling noise get louder. It's a horse... in a great hurry... and not a small one either! Closer and closer it get,s the sound gowing louder until he finds himself edging backwards towards the stable again.

Suddenly, out of the fog the animal and his rider appear, coming rushing right for him. He screams and falls flat on his butt, trying to scramble out of the way. Right before him they stop... the horse rearing as the rider pulls him in. The sight is as terrifying as awe-inspiring. The horse is sweating, breathing heavily and snorting, stepping impatiently in place... eager to keep going.

- You there, boy!!

The rider hops down on the ground and approaches him. As the rider pulls the hood back the stable-hand drops his jaw in surprise as he seed the dark features of a woman. Adding to the sight is an armor of a kind he has not seen even once in her life... the make and patterns on it so remarkable and intricate they can not have been made by anyone other than elves.

- Don't just stand there slack-jawed! Water him and pack me some rations for him so that we can reach Rivendell. Swiftly now boy!

Her voice does not invite to negotiations. With a shove a small purse filled with at least a hundred silver is put into his hands before she dashes into the Forsaken Inn.

As she emerges from there within just a few minutes, the boy hastilly puts the bags of alfalfa hay and barley into the saddle bags. Without a quick "Thank you" she mounts the horse again.

- Miss, miss! Money back!

The boy holds up the purse where most of the contents remain.

- Keep it boy. Use it to get yerself outta here. Life's too short to hang about a dump like this.

She smirks and winks at him before putting her heels into the sides of the horse and setting out in the direction of Ost Guruth... the thunder of the hooves die out slowly as the stunned boy stares into the fog.
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Felaion » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:57 am

Some while later, Harain finally found somthing decicive. After following up what felt like hundreds of false leads for hours on end, he finally discovered the name of a Gondorian living in Bree-Town who knew the name: Gwann-Orgaladhad.

Tired as he was, Harain decided to follow up this final lead before turning in. His heart was certain that if this failed... he would find little else. The unknown assasin covered his tracks too well, it was as if the man or woman never even existed. Except as a shadow in the mind.

When Harain found the house of the Gondorian, it was not what he expected. It wasn't even a house, not really. Down near Mud-Gate, the Gondorian lived in a shack, and from the looks of things, alone.

Harain knocked, and a terrified little man answered the door. He shook visibly, and shuddered when Harain mentioned the name of the unknown killer. The little man could barely speak, but Harain could tell this man was not, or had not always been this frightened. Somthing terrible had happened to him, and Harain decided it was best he did not know.

While Harain had these thoughts, the man thrust a piece of parchment into his hands, and all but ran back into the shack. The parchment was crumpled... clearly it meant a lot to this man, and he had held onto it so very tightly...

Harain unfolded the paper, carefully, to discover somthing that shook him to the very core.

"...so. Just a shadow."
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Sunniva » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:28 am

Sayvara slows her riding down. There is another rider front of her, just standing next to the road.
She slows down even more as she sees the rider holding her hand up when she approaches.
“What is this. I have no time for delays…” her eyes narrow as she recognizes the other rider.
“What are you doing in here?” she ask swiftly.
Sunniva’s eyes light up and wide smile spreads to her face. “You know they are right. You shouldn’t travel alone in here.” she continues stopping Sayvara’s reply. “And don’t worry about me, if he comes again for you, I am sure to dodge any incoming arrows if they get in my path.”
“And beside…” Sunniva smiles even wider. “I still haven get my pay, so I wont let you die just yet.” she rider beside Sayvara and points whit her hand, indicating her to lead on the way.
Last edited by Sunniva on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunniva

Postby Sayvara » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:41 am

At first she just stares in sheer surprise. then her mouth closes and a big grin forms.

- You... little... brat!

A roaring laughter is heard through the fog.

- I'm glad you are here Sunni. Really I am. Come along you!

Setting out into a more calm gallop along the road she smiles at the young woman.

- Tell me Sunni... are you good at covering your tracks?
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Sunniva » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:07 am

"I suposed I can do it, as well as I can hide in shadows... Sunniva turns to Sayvara and smiles.
"Or can you say that you saw me leaving the inn, following you to the Forsaken inn and then riding ahead of you?"
Sunniva takes small pause and continues. "I know i am not master of deseption. If he is indeed elf who attacked us, even I can have hard time covering my tracks from his damn keen elven eyes... Not offended to anyone, but they arent making this any easyer. But then again, it would be too easy whit out them." Sunniva sighs a bit.
Sunniva

Postby Sayvara » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:03 pm

- Well that will do us just fine Sunni. Just the skills we need now.

- And finding me here hardly was any effort concidering I have made a bit of an effort to announce my departure for Rivendell.

A sly wink reveals part of Sayvara's plan for the rogueish girl.

- Now stay close... time to make another pull.

With that she sets off at a great speed again.

- How long can your horse keep this up? We need about an hour of this!
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Sunniva » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Sunniva wacthes Sayvara riding ahed. She taps her horce on the neg and whispers in his ear
"Let's show thoce oldies what we can do." and rides after Sayvara.
Sunniva

Postby Sayvara » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:02 pm

(( Which reminds me...

Should anyone take an interrest in the mass-mailing Sayvara did - by for instance asking the kids - they will find that the letters were adressed to a bunch of different people in and around Bree that Sayvara has had dealings with since she got there. Adressees include Adjanah, Alwen, Barliman Butterbur, a pair of farmers named Herbert and Mathilda and several more of friends, associates and acquaintances.

And an intercept on one or more of those letter would reveal that they have about the same meaning, although each of them a little bit differently written:

Hello

As times have it I need to collect that favour. Meet me at the designated spot.

/S

If anyone acts on this, just ask and I'll tell you what you find out from it. :)

))
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Sayvara » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:15 am

As the couple head further east, the terrain gradually turn moutainous. The paved road is no longer surrounded by soft grass, but by stones and rocks. As it starts weaving up and down Sayvara slows and starts seaching for something in the fog. Finally, she stops completely and jumps off her horse, leading him to the north side of the road.

- Check clear behind and forth Sunni, then follow me.

With that she quicky moves in among a field of high cliffs... it seems to lead to a dead end. Only when examined closer a, passage is found snaking into a ravine that when exited a few hundred yards further down shows they are not far from the enemey infested lands west of Weathertop.
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Lirandel » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:26 pm

The silhouet of Sayvara thundering out of Combe on her massive horse Tiny, could be seen from one of the many rooftops. And as she vanished through the town gates, nearly knocking several patrons on their back, and resulting in a wagon of apples spilling across the street. Another scenario unfolded unbeknownst to the town dwellers.

*The camera turns its view from several cursing patrons yelling after Sayvara with raised fists. On to a rooftop, where a crouched Lirandel sits behind a smoke pulsing chimney, a knocked arrow on his bow, aiming across the street.*

He waited. Patienly. The mark of a hunter. He had seen the shadow at sunset and had advanced slowly, setting himself into position on the opposite building across the street. When he had caught the shreds of a ruined hood, at the same time Harain had walked out of the Combe and Wattle Inn beneath them, intent on his objective in Bree. He knew he had been right.

As Sayvara thundered out of Combe. The shadow moved.

A drop of sweat crossed his face resting on his chin. and as it let go and fell. He let go of the arrow, then knocked another in an experienced blur of motion...

Go my Fire... I will give you the time you need... Go!

Hours later
The sound of rain hitting the streets beneath him with a constant fervour. Could be heard in the clouded night. Followed by the deep booming of thunder and lightning, Combe appeared as if it was holding its very breath and as the lightning flashes lit up the town in a ghostly visage. It looked as if the town itself had been caught in the eternal conflict of light and darkness...

The patrons had sought safety hours ago. Rain was one thing. But the anger of a storm was best to ride off in the safety reaches of home. As he lay there prone against the wet wooden planks of the roof. He could see the silhouets of the innocent looking out into the night from the many lighted windows. And hear the distant mutterings through the heavy rain, speaking in gruff and hushed voices.

They felt it too. As he did. It was a pressing feeling. Something that gave you chills even in the nearness of a warm fireplace. A sensation that went deeper than any of the patrons of Combe could explain; An unnatural dread. An unnatural storm.

Another white flash of lightning followed by a deep crackling thunder suddenly lit the town up.
And within the short span of moments it took the lightning fade out. He was up and jumping across an alley and on to another roof. Rolling, once again behind the safety of a larger chimney. He smiled.

the Dead One is a great master of Stealth and subtlety. But the man has his faults. Five times I have done this and each time he has failed to get a clear shot. Good thing he is not an elf.

He eyed the Assassin's arrow protruding from the rooftop some feet away from him. Then cautiously looked around the larger chimney. Searching the rooftops for the enemy.

This would be a long night. But it was worth it. If the Liutenant was indeed as clever as he had come to know her. She was baiting the assassin into a ground of her own. Which would give her the advantage. But if it all seemed to easy. It would not work. They might not be together. but they were still Fire and Marble. And he would be damned if the Dead One would claim her without a lot of effort.

As he saw the subtle shimmer of rain being abrubted. He unleashed several shots in that direction, his movements fast and precise, then retreated behind the chimney. Waiting for the riposte. And surely enough, the whistling of an arrow then a thud, pinning his cloak to the roof. Was the only evidence that the confrontation still was very much real.

I might have the keen eyes of my kin. but the Dead One continues to evade my arrows, when dawn comes I will lose that edge. Damn him to Mordor! But as long as time is spent. I will keep him here, rooted.

As he sat there in the heavy pouring rain, waiting for the next flash of lightning, his thoughts went to Tharynien. His face remained hard beneath the worn hood. But his eyes softened, he rested his head on the stone behind him.

I will do what I can, so your death will not be in vain. None of the Thorn will be claimed by Gwann. I swear it. As long as I breathe, the Dead One will have to look over his shoulder.
He is not the only that can play this game. He is not...

Dawn

*The camera looks over the town of Combe, slowly zooming in on a Mornereg standing a top of the same rooftop, while eyeing the approaching dawn*

As Dawn came and the storm ended there was no sight of Gwann. He had retreated in the late hours of the night. Without Mornereg seeing it or having the chance to prevent it. Hopefully the ruse had worked. And given Sayvara time to set up her plan.

Whatever that might be.

It was time and safe enough to speak with the Thorns without having to be concerned about the dead one. If his estimations were correct. the Dead One was running out of time. Adn was now trailing the Liutenant. But more importantly. the many flaws he had shown this night. Was enough for Lirandel to give a clear picture of who, or rather, what they were dealing with.

As his king once had told him.

If you want to know your enemy. You have to fight him. Get under his skin. Therein lies the true nature of any great adversary. Learn his flaws and strengths. Then use them to your advantage.

The lesson had been valuable. And well learned.

It was time to tighten the noose.

"Yes. It is time..."
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Felaion » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:46 pm

As time slowly passes, silence falls over the members of the Company of the Black Thorn that have been touched by the presence if the assasin. Time works against them, and every second brings them closer to the Day of Two Trees, and the reckoning promised.

None of by him.them can shake the feeling... that they are being watched. Every second of their time... every step they take... every breath they make. Yet... still... the silence is never-ending. No further move from the assasin... nothing.

It's as if he simply waits... as if he plans to face the Thorn on the Day of Two Trees and take what he demanded, take everything.

I can only think to say... that it is unfortunate the Thorn did not heed their warning.

And that it is unfortunate that Gwann-Orgaladhad, shadow of the White City... is still one step ahead.
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Sayvara » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:15 pm

If the departure had been thunderous and spectacular, the return was anything but that. Sunniva is sitting on her horse, nearly all wrapped up in one of Sayvara's cloaks, trying to keep the gnats away. Sayvara is leading both horses through the inhospitable marshes of Midgewater. They are keeping a fair pace concidering the circumstances... and once more Sayvara silently thanks captain Maerinda and everyone else that had put her through her grueling training at the academy. Even the evil captain Terlion is given a thought other than hate. After all, he is dead, but that which he had taught her had led the pair safely through at least two enemy checkpoints.

Two goblinoid camps are ablaze. The rationale is simple: if they were not followed, it would mean nothing. If they were followed, the persuer would have to make his way through two bees' nests after someone whacked them with a stick.

Finally emerging from the marches and their endless clouds of buzzing, stinging, blood-sucking pests they are able to mount again and make great speed. Moving in a great circle they avoid Bree, coming up to the north of the Bree Fields, to a lake.

- I just hope she has made it there...

...Sayvara says as they look down on the still water and an island seeminly floating amongst a pool of stars as the night sky is being reflected on the surface.
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Silanglindis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:34 am

It had been a joyous day for Sil.
A successful hunt throughout the cracked and harsh lands in Gorothlad had led her and her companions upon the tracks of the prey they had been looking for since the early dawn. And after something what she referred to as "Nothing worse than a bit of smithwork at a good hot fire" she had gathered the near unbreakable and polished black scale of the rare kind of drakes that sometimes descend to this area from the further off regions of Angmar, fit to make an armour that would hopefully serve its new owner better than its previous.
Coming back to Thorins halls she was expecting to prolong the red glow of dawn by spending time attending the hotter glowing forge, but already at the gates a young dwarf, eyeing her curiously interrupted her by inquiring her name. Although the reply was the one he had been waiting for (taken by the extraordinary amounts of grunts and mutterings, waiting for since quite a while), one could clearly recognize it was not appreciated by him serving as an errandrunner- and particularly not to a singed elven warrior.
After handing over the note he carried for her his mischief was not diminished by the fact that his leave was aborted due to his hood being fastened to the grip of the elve, discarding the note into her pocket.
"It seems, master dwarf, I will do more travelling today. Prithee take care of my belongings here and carry them to Molda, I know he is not expecting this delivery, but he will know how to treat it. Send him the greetings of Silanglindis Naugrimella and he will reward you for this errand and will tell you a bit that will make you think better of me. Namarie!"
Speaking this she jumped to her horses back and untying the drakes scales she gathered turned about, speeding off to the distance, leaving behind a young dwarf gloating on the scales glowing in the rays of the westering sun as if the fire of the beast they belonged to had been rekindled.

Passing the peaceful lands of Ered Luin- and the soft green meadows of the Shire on her way Silanglindis pondered the simple message sent to her.
This was no invitation to a merry meeting, that much was to be guessed... Sayvara must have deemed its delivery and her appearance worthy paying a messenger, not just placing a simple 'note-by-the-doorstep', although she enjoyed playing her little games by times and delighted in confusing her friend for a giggle. Nah, a call for help? That was no game, this was something not to be taken lightly.
Having sorted out the case and passing the Buckland gates after a very short discussion with the gate keepers (although having to announce that the gate had to be closed ere nightfall, they seemed rather easy with letting a fully-armed elven warrior OUT of the shire) she arrived in Breeland.
She could well imagine the gate-keepers returning to their mugs and plates in the inn with a brand-new rumour for the attentive crowd just now. The evening had just begun and the moon was waxing. Judging that the note had been awaiting her for more than just a few hours, there would not be the time to travel to Bree and see if there was someone of the Thorn about in the Inns for more information, nor for another discussion with gatekeepers- this time on the inside of the gates.

Sighing to herself, she took the direct way to the meeting-point, an island where Sayvara and her had met a few times in the past whenever there was the chance of spending a day away in a prolonged picnic, sharing the tales and songs of their adventures or merely moments of peace and quietness.
As she rode along the deep cleft with the quick stream running towards the lake, suddenly the beauty of the approaching night, the sweet wholesome air and the nightly noises of the animals in the rich grass of the hills overcame her tiredness. Had there been a watcher on this lonely meadow, he might have watched a change in this passing rider from a stout traveller, setting out for a nightly march to that of an adventurer that is setting out to a new days wonders and discoveries.

Tying up her armour to a close bundle and floating it on the lake with a blown-up water skin Sil crossed the lake with strong and swift strides, enjoying the clean , moonlit waters washing away the sulfurous fumes and the last rest of weariness resulting from her earlier adventure- and found the meeting place empty. Startled by this fact she quickly clad herself again- an irony regarding the quietness of the peaceful surrounding. A quick, silent exploration showed her that she was indeed the first visitor of the island on this day ... did this mean her friend was late? Or worse?
After a quick consideration she decided to lay hid and watch the lakeside... anyone who would want to approch this meeting place would either have to breathe water, or give away his approach already from afar. Melting into shadows, soon only the toads and the sound of quiet waves could be heard in the nightly silence.
Silanglindis

Postby Sayvara » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:31 am

Sayvara quietly rides down the slopes towards the lake, urging Sunniva to follow close by. She is watching the island intensely. Not that she sees anything... but she is well aware she will not know for sure until she is out there. Sil didn't become the warrior she is by being reckless or uncautious.

Finding a patch of large near a boulder she tells Sunniva to stay put and keep herself and the horses hidden. Watching the island with a moment of hesitation... then quickly stripping down.

- I'll be right back.

With that she marches out to the lake, stepping into the water quitly rather than announcing her presence by diving into it.

As she swims with powerful breaststrokes she mumbles quietly to herself.

- Please be there... please be there my friend.
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Silanglindis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Silanglindis relaxed while she examined the approaching travellers.
The warrior riding the large steed with the two-handed sword on her back would surely have to be her friend- and the way the two companions moved showed no sign of her friend being in immediate danger.

Lying hidden and smiling, she watched Sayvara swimming toward her encircled by the silver light of the moon lightening the waves on the quiet water.

Let's see what story she has to tell.
Silanglindis

PreviousNext

Return to LOTRO: History in the making