[RP] Feeling like a sucker...

Events, event planning and evaluation.

Re: [RP] Feeling like a sucker...

Postby Haelewulf » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:38 pm

((Meanwhile...))

Wulf rode through the Lone Lands, his thoughts conflicting, as usual. Leaving his horse at the Forsaken Inn, it took little questioning to verify that Phindor was still standing vigil over the destroyed watchtower on Weathertop.

Quite the reputation your "father" is accruing for himself, far away from the real battle, isn't it? came the sneering tones of Feondwulf.

Speak not of that which you do not understand, Wulf snapped back in the privacy of his head. Advances cannot be made without a formidable rearguard... and few and far between are the orcs that could hope to stand against my father. The Lone Lands are all the safer for his efforts.

Wulf continued to make his way cautiously over the scrub-covered hills, avoiding the orc camps with ease. Before long, he stood at the foot of mighty Amon Sûl. His eyes darting about warily, Wulf began the ascent.

It was quiet... too quiet.

In a flurry of movement next to him, a murder of crows flashed into the air, a blur of darkness against the stone of the mountain. Wulf swore and pulled his weapons from his belt. Now any evil hiding on the hill would know of his presence.

It didn't take long for them to arrive.

With fell cries that quickly turned to screams of pain and panic, a pack of goblins rounded a bend in the path. Wulf leapt to meet them, his axe scything red streaks of death through their ranks, his mace a whirling blur of light and agony, splintering bones and strewing broken corpses to each side of the path. In a heartbeat, the first four were slain. The last living goblin, having avoided the first onslaught, threw aside his weapons and ran for it. Wulf dropped his mace to the ground and buried the gore-spattered blade of his axe in the earth at his feet, struggling to free his bow... but too late.

Cursing his lack of speed, Wulf knelt and retrieved his weapons, running after the goblin. Rounding the bend, he found himself suddenly face to face with a pack of orcs, the goblin hiding behind the largest. The leader, a huge war-captain wielding a hideous lochaber axe, grinned unpleasantly. Wulf narrowed his eyes.

Suddenly the captain thrust out the arm wielding the ghastly weapon. "ATTACK, WORMS!!!"

As Wulf braced himself for the collision, a new voice rang out.

"Thy days are done, filth of Mordor! Come, face thy deaths!"

The charge faltered, the warcaptain spinning about to look back up the mountain. Standing in the middle of the path, the starlight glinting off his armour, a mighty shield in his left hand, a faintly glowing battlehammer in his right, stood Phindor. His eyes were narrowed, the icy blue sparkle now a cold gleam.

The warcaptain's face became instantly suffused with rage and hatred. "KILL HIM!! FORGET THE OTHER, I WANT ICE-EYES' HEAD!!!"

Wulf leapt to aid his father, but there was little need. With mighty blows of his hammer and shield, Phindor smote the orcs as they came at him, his weapon punching holes through armour and bone with equal facility. The warcaptain grew ever more incensed as his followers were hewn down with little difficulty, and when he could take no more, raised his axe above his head and charged at Phindor with a howl of rage.
Phindor stepped in under the blow, and, kneeling, raised his shield over his head and shoulder. As the warcaptain fell over him, Phindor stood, flipping the massive orc over himself. The flailing captain lost his grip on the axe, which went pinwheeling over the side of the mountain, and landed hard on his back with all the wind knocked out of him.
With practiced ease, Phindor spun, and with a smooth motion, flattened the warcaptain's skull against the unyielding rock of the path.

Grinning, Wulf walked over and clapped his father on the shoulder. "Your timing remains impeccable as ever, father."

Phindor looked back at him, the twinkle back in his eyes. "Perhaps thine will improve with time... though if thou continuest to charge ahead with little concern for thy surroundings, I fear thou mayest have but little time left at all!"

Wulf chuckles ruefully. "As a matter of fact, father, I nearly had less time than you realize."
Phindor raised an eyebrow inquiringly. "Oh?"
Wulf nodded. "Aye. We were attacked by an assassin... of fearful prowess. He chose to spare us, for some reason... but he's after Sayvara. He calls himself the Shadow of the White City, and signs himself Gwann Orgha - what?"
Phindor's face had become very serious. "Thou art mistaken."
Wulf shook his head in confusion. "No... it was very clear. And he says we have until the Day of Two Trees... Tuesday... til she dies."
"There is no way thou facest Gwann-Orgaladhad."
"You know of him?" Wulf's eyes narrowed in interest.
Phindor nodded, his eyes still serious. "When I served with the guard of the White City, there was an assassin... renowned for accepting marks at any level of society, and never failing to make his kill. Always on a Tuesday... His reputation was vast, for despite his predictability, it seemed that none could bring him down..."
"But this is him! It must be! It all fits!" Wulf began to clamber to his feet. "Now, how do we stop him?"
Phindor shook his head. "Nay, son of mine. It cannot be him... for ultimately he WAS captured... captured and hung til death."
Wulf sat back down, his face stunned. "A...a copycat, then?"
Phindor reached out and patted Wulf's shoulder sympathetically. "Aye, perhaps."
Wulf shook his head and stood up. "I must return with this news... thank you, father. For the information, and the aid on the mountain."
Phindor smiled, with a touch of sadness. "It is a father's pleasure to aid his son."

ScreenShot00142 (Small).jpg
ScreenShot00142 (Small).jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 20477 times

As Wulf vanished into the night, Phindor shook his head, his eyes concerned.

"Fear not the dead, my son... but be wary, lest ye join them."

Wulf's mind leapt back to that fateful night in Chetwood, and his words on finding Terlion's signature.
"I do not fear ghosts."
Perhaps because until now, you haven't found one that could best you...
There was no stilling the voice in his head... for it was himself.
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Sayvara » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:00 pm

Goosebumps on her skin from the chilly air as she swiftly gets out of the water. She leaps into a hide... only to find herself feeling real silly concidering she is chilled, naked down to her undergarments and unarmed. And if anyone watching didn't see her swim out here, they can't see her now anyway. She stands up and just waits... wiping water from her limbs with her bare hands.
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Silanglindis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:26 pm

As Sayvara raises up from wiping her legs she gets covered from behind with a warm cloak.

>> Heya hun...

says a quiet melodious voice to her ear.

>> what tale brings you here?
Silanglindis

Postby Sayvara » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:03 pm

She tenses for a moment, but only until the softness of the cloak registers, followed by her friend's wonderful voice close to her ear. She smiles and wraps the cloak around herself gratefully before turning around and wrapping her arms around Silanglindis in a long warm embrace.

- Hello darling... missed you.

Taking a few moments to smile at the other warrior, she reminisces about their little retreats out here. Of long calm nights away from everything. Of warm relaxed friendship.

Soon enough though she loses her smile and her face shows the graveness of the situation.

- There is a killer out after me... he kalls himself Gwann-Orgaladhad. He is exceptionally skilled...
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Silanglindis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:09 pm

>>Go on Sayvara.<<

Sil is standing close to her friend, giving her as much comfort as one clad in full battle gear can do, taking in her tale patiently and attentive.
Silanglindis

Postby Sayvara » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:54 pm

Sayvara quickly tells the story of the farmer that approached them and sent them on a chase for the supposedly missing wife... of the decoy dummy... and of the devastatingly skilled attack that could have decimated the Company of the Black Thorn to near nothingness. She also relays the contents of the message delivered on the arrow on the morning she left Combe.

- So... we're dealing with someone highly unconventional, very skilled, and very dangerous. But also - if it's not a huge decepion - someone who is kind of predictable. Tuesday is coming up soon though.

She pulls a deep breath...

- So... a choice: either I go into hiding and hope that he doesn't find me. Or I can go up against him. I am not much for hiding...

With a sigh she drops her gaze for a moment...

- ...but I'm not much for dying either. Not now... not without him... not without Lirandel by my side.

She looks up at Silanglindis again... this time her gaze more determined, her eays gleaming.

- I need to get in touch with him... ask him a question... eye to eye. And if he doesn't know the answer, then we have some interresting times ahead. After that we have us a killer to catch. Do you think you can help?
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Felaion » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 pm

Tuesday the Nineteenth of November. All day, winter storms from the south had rained heavily on the farms and fields of Bree-Land. Though night had fallen, and the raining had ceased, a thick blanket of cloud covered the sky. It was a very dark night.

As the shadow wanders,

Gwann-Orgaladhad, shadow of the white city began his attack. The time had come, all the pieces were moved, and he knew what he had to do.

In the shades of night.

No-one paid the moving blackness any heed as it gracefully skipped along the rooftops. No sound. No sight. No touch.

Listening to the fears and frowns,

Suddenly, the shadow came to a halt. Below it, Gwann-Orgaladhad could see the deserted streets of Bree-Town. No-one moved, the earlier storm had confined the populace to their homes. Gwann's keen eye picked out the movement of one lone figure. A beggar pulled his blanket closer around him, trying to retain warmth. Gwann continued to watch, memories streaming into his mind. Moments later, the beggar found a second cloak dropped over him from above. No-one deserves to freeze to death.

by the window light.

Gwann crouched by the open window, his figure faintly lit by the light of the window. A stray gust of cold wind breezed by, ruffling Gwann's cloak. His blue eyes flicked to the window. The time was now.

There it learns the troubled roads,

Tink... a small device landed quietly on the floor of the room, one of Gwann-Orgaladhad's gas canisters. Steadily it began to release a coulourless, odorless gas into the room. Someone's time was up.

Lying round the bend.

Gwann's eyes twitched back to the town, wary of anyone who may be stalking him. Wary of what could happen should he be caught.

There is feels the lonesome touch,

Quick as a flash, Gwann jumped into the room, fearing not the gas he had released into the room. He smiled slyly behind his mask as he realised his objective had been reached. This had been all too easy.

of those who can't repent.

There was no turning back. Not from what he had done.

"Good evening, Mornereg."

((Lirandel, reply at will :) ))
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Silanglindis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:33 pm

[[maybe this can be moved up by an admin?]]

Her eyes like a deep well with merely a faint light in them, far away returning the look of her friend, Silanglindis replies slowly:

>My friend, why do you ask me whether I can help?
You are beset by an evil that you cannot see nor lay your hands upon... all you felt thus far was its doings.
Unless you know your foe, how will you know how to assail him?

Guessing from the name, 'tis but a man that beset you, since although he chose elven words for his name, these do not make an elven name by themself.

Force alone will aid us little. You need to learn more of this foe and discover his weakness. Let not him play the game and move ye like a pawn on his game, but rather assail him ere 'his time' has come. This will be a move that will strike him unexpected.
Sadly, my wisdom on an enemy like this is limited. Thou should seek out a thief to learn of his ways!

He cannot be too far, how else can he know where to beset ye?

You are the cleansing flame. Remember this and remember your strength, my friend. Wherever the light falls, the darkness will perish.

But speaking of your call to help,<

she concludes, with her smile returning,

>I am here for you. My strength is yours.<
Silanglindis

Postby Sayvara » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:14 am

Sayvara listens to Silanglindis... flushing a little as she feels herself being chided like a child... but she is reminded that the elf is older and more experienced than her. Maybe that is part of why she feels a bond to this one... for her willingness to share her knowledge as a champion with teh gondorian woman.

As Silanglindis speaks her promise Sayvara is smiling... putting a hand on the elf's shoulder and stepping closer... leaning their foreheads together.

- Thank you... mellon.

Standing up again, she begins outlining a plan...

- I have a... "thief" with me. she'll provide ample hwlp... has done so already in fact.

She turns and looks over the water in Sunniva's direction with a smile.

- Anyway... the killer, he is skilled with poisons, so we need a sample of every antidote we can think of.

- He is coming after me he said... so I'll use myself as bait, try to lure him out and draw him to a position where I can fight on better terms. Now here is what I need from you...
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Silanglindis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:22 am

>Speak on, Sayvara.<
she says, while her hands feel the warmth of the strong, young body of her friend beneath the cloak that she wrapped her in. Feeling this youth and vigour she gets moved by a painful thought.

>You know that ere long this will be another friend to grieve for!<
she hears her father say in days long past.
>You are speaking as if he would be dead yet, father<
echoes her reply in her head,
>and grieving at a wonder, a joyous sight, or at a friend though mortal, for the reason it will not last eternally, will only scar your soul eternal.<
she concludes with her gained knowledge from long years of living in these ages, and from the memory of the slow illness that beseeked her father, and bested him after a long spread of years of suffering, anger and grief.

>Enjoy the wonder while you can, and nourish and preserve the flame.< she thinks to herself. >Only so can it kindle other souls to burn brightly and bring forth light to the days upcoming.<
Silanglindis

Postby Silanglindis » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 am

-
Last edited by Silanglindis on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silanglindis

Postby Felaion » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:51 pm

Gwann's smile does not fade as he notes Lirandel jump to his feet, blade in his hand. He almost laughs, seating himself casually on the window ledge.

"Not possible to take you by supprise, now is it Lirandel? Though I very much doubt you knew I was coming."

The assasin smiles, his eyes glinting dangerously from beneath his hood. He raises one hand to toy with the cool air outside the window, revealing his apparent lack of weapons.

"I have to admit though, I've overestimated the Black Thorn. The trap I have sprung was one of my finest and best, though it seems none of you have the wit and sense to make the right moves. A waste of my time. I aught to have killed her back in Chetwood. But as I said, I overestimated you."

Gwann's voice is slow, deep, and calm. Almost warm, but at the same time, deathly cold. The kind of voice your father would imitate late one winters night by the fire, pretending to be an evil king, or dark spirit.

"Not that it makes any difference now, still she will die. It goes against almost every code I've ever lived by to even be talking to you, but this is a highly irregular job. Come now, let me be honest. I simply came to crow my victory over you Lirandel, Captain of the Black Thorn. But have no fear, it's not all bad news. I'll release my captive once I have the blood of Sayvara Allen on my hands."

Gwann-Orgaladhad falls silent, watching Lirandel very carefully with two keen eyes.
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Lirandel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Fast. Impossibly fast. As quick as one honed by countless ages of terrible motivated training; caused by tragedy, war and the untold consequences of leading such a lonely life. A short blade glints in the air for an instant between moments, followed by a thud and it protrudes from the shoulder of Gwann's. Imbedded deeply within the assassin's flesh. Another glint followed by the graceful sound of the Sword of Thorns being unsheathed. And the grinding heatful words through clenched teeth can be heard as Mornereg salutes Gwann with his sword and approaches swiftly.

"Your overconfidence is your weakness!"
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Felaion » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:25 pm

Gwann does not cry out, the sound of blade piercing flesh all the louder because of it. However, it is clear that although he was not prepared for such an act, like Lirandel, he is not caught off guard. His left hand darts upwards, and suddenly there is a bright flash and a bang as a flash 'bomb' detonates close to Lirandel's face.

"Touchy, Mornereg! That hurt, and I'll only be too glad to return the favour!"

Suddenly, out of the corner of Lirandel's blinded vision comes the hard heel of Gwann's right boot. His wound has slowed him, but nothing seems to be able to stop him.

"You've failed Mornereg! You have no idea how doomed you are!"
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Felaion » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:06 pm

SMASH! Lirandel's skull suddenly connects with the wall mirror beside the bed, launched across the room by the hard heel of Gwann-Orgaladhad's boot. With a swoop, the assasin lands expertly on his feet, his shaded eyes looking pityingly down on the Captain of the Thorn. Pain seered through Lirandel's head hand and the arm he had struck out to break his fall. A large piece of devilishly sharp glass stuck out at a horrific angle from that arm, but when Lirandel opened his eyes to see it... he saw naught but blackness. Lirandel blinks, trying to see somthing. Suddenly he twitches his head, trying to stand and face the assasin for he had heard the unmistakable grate of steel as a sword is drawn.

Gwann watched Lirandel stand carefully, then down at the Sword of Thorns he had picked from the floor. In awe, Gwann eyed the blade in his hand, stroking it's hilt with a gloved finger.

"It's a beautiful thing... Like the Thorn."

Lirandel scowls, realising what weapon Gwann held, and preparing himself for a fight.

"That blade is a better person that you will ever be. What is it you want from us... why are you here Dark One?"

Gwann-Orgaladhad shrugs, his eyes still on the blade.

"My employer has offered much in the way of gold for the head of Allen... I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the world."

"But you'r not. You are a Gondorian Assasin from Minas Tirith. You drove fear into the heart of that city for years and then suddenly... you are caught. Hanged until dead. Why come here?"

"You ask far too many questions that I would never answer. Yet you are close to death now... perhaps I will appease you... but only if you answer a question of mine in return..."
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

PreviousNext

Return to LOTRO: History in the making