Skirmish Planning

OOC forum for LotRO specifics, news, tactics, and other goodies.

Skirmish Planning

Postby Felaion » Fri May 21, 2010 11:53 am

Allright! Since I raised the topic of trying to co-ordinate our Skirmishing attempts, here's a thread to discuss that very topic. My advice is this... that we carefully choose which soldier 'type' to put our efforts into levelling with marks, so that when it comes to Skirmishing (solo or otherwise) we stand the best possible chance. This can be done by ensuring that every role is filled by someone or their ally. If we can each concentrate on one class of ally - they'll level quickly, and give us a better chance of trying Tier II or III!

For Felaion, I've chosen to level my ally as a Protector. Hence - a tanking role. I've chosen this because in solo-play, the tank can hold aggro whilst I deal increased dps from behind. As part of a group, the debuffer/tank combo means we can keep multiple foes out of the fight, whilst the dps do their job. That does rather mean, that in team-play, my job is crowd control.
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Re: Skirmish Planning

Postby Haelewulf » Fri May 21, 2010 11:59 am

Felaion wrote: I've chosen this because in solo-play, the tank can hold aggro whilst I deal increased dps from behind. .

Hee hee hee, "from behind." :D

Okay, so my soldier is a Herbalist (healer). This is because as a Champion, the "master of weapons and combat", I am the only class in the game that cannot block, parry or evade when in my normal stance. Go figure. As a result, all fights are straight DPS races for me, so having a dedicated healer on my butt makes me AWESOME(R).

:D
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Lirandel » Fri May 21, 2010 1:31 pm

I have gone the opposite and quite extreme road to my Champion. Namely I have chosen a warrior for more dps. With the philosophy "More dps does not hurt you it hurts them and it hurts them pretty damn fast!"
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Haelewulf » Fri May 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Lirandel wrote:I have gone the opposite and quite extreme road to my Champion. Namely I have chosen a warrior for more dps. With the philosophy "More dps does not hurt you it hurts them and it hurts them pretty damn fast!"

Oh, Lira. You're such a card. :D
Haelewulf

Postby Adjanah » Fri May 21, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm just gonna ask you guys: What should I get? :>
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Haelewulf » Fri May 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Well, here's the issue, chaps. Our variety of soldiers will be limited, because our variety of classes is limited.

With the notable exception of Lira, Damage King of Insanity and Awesome, everyone gravitates towards the soldier that complements their character best. We have two burglars, two champions, an LM and a Guardian, which means we will probably have 2 warriors, 1 healer, 3 protectors, 1 guardian, 2 champs, 2 burgs and an LM.

So 4 raw DPS, 3 DPS/Debuffs, 4 tanks, and 1 healer. :D

Assuming you take a Protector, Adj. I'd either go Protector or Warrior if I was a burg, since the Protector is tough but occasionally pants, whereas the warrior is like Wulf... grabs all aggro, and often dies. :D

Thoughts?
Haelewulf

Postby Felaion » Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Since we've not heard from Fara yet, let's keep him out of the picture for the moment. This'll never work if it's only feasable when we're -all- around. What we want are combinations that work for -all- involved.

So, with that said - Protector for added tanking and the reasons I use one would work... or an archer, who'll deal the dps that a Mischief-Maker Burglar isn't geared for, whilst you keep debuffing foes. Likely will involve more action than my style of play, but I think that's up your street. Then when it comes to team-work, the ranged dps will be a great buff.

Everything seems fine there except Lira's Warrior. We don't really need -more- meele dps. We've champs and burglars going allready. Somthing more supportive (like a Bannerguard) would be much more effective for you, I think. Team-play because it's always good, and solo because it can support you whilst you do the dps.

Still, whatever works! ^^
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Lirandel » Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm

If it is possible for me two switch between a bannerguard for the team and my warrior when I am solo, sure.
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Lirandel » Fri May 21, 2010 4:17 pm

and youre counting out Kelli btw.
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Haelewulf » Sat May 22, 2010 1:12 am

Good point, I'd omitted Kelli.

To be honest, I don't think a Bannerguard will make the difference between success and failure, especially not with so many of us. Most if not all his buffs are single target anyway.

Moreover it's pretty impractical to level two soldiers concurrently. You'd really need to grind skirmish marks for that. I have a sage and an archer at lower tiers on Wulf, but levelling them and their abilities is untenable at the minute, so I'd just stick with your Warrior, Lira. :)

Besides, as the Cap'n says, you can never have TOO much damage. Especially AoE. ;)
Haelewulf

Postby Felaion » Sat May 22, 2010 8:59 am

*grumbles somthing about people just wanting to hit things harder, not -better-!* ;)
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Haelewulf » Sat May 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Felaion wrote:*grumbles somthing about people just wanting to hit things harder, not -better-!* ;)

*nods sagely* And that, m'boy, is why you shall remain a burglar and never a champion; because you believe that there is a difference!

:D
Haelewulf

Postby Haelewulf » Sat May 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Here is a gem of wisdom from one Harumph, on the Turbine forums. I believe this got "Post of the Year."

3 things a champion would like you to know... cause I hate you and want you to cry..
I read a lot of things about champions on the forums, and I think it's time to clear up some misunderstandings. First, understand that the only way to win an encounter is by killing the mobs. This is through DPS. And because of our great AOE DPS, champions are the most important member of the group. But we fill other roles as well. Mostly, we optimize fellowships. How? Because we know these things:

1. Minstrels are lazy. I mean, come on. To do our max DPS, we need to be in Fervour, which has a -30% healing penalty. This just means that the minstrel must heal us 30% more. But sometimes they complain about this. This makes no sense. They rolled a healing class to heal, and now they get to heal 30% more! They should be thanking us. If someone said to me "Do 30% more DPS" I'd say "OK!"

Minstrel carry around lutes and wear fancy hats. We need to keep them on their toes, or they will drift off and start daydreaming about butterflies, fancy hats, and butterflies in fancy hats.

2. Loremasters are afraid of almost everything. Seriously. All of their skills are based around this. They mez and root to keep the scary things away. If that fails, they debuff it, so it seems a little less scary to them. And they have pets to help keep things away from them, and to have someone to cuddle with in case they have a bad dream or something.

Champions are not afraid. We are there to AOE DPS, and not hitting things is counterproductive. So we must break every mez we see. And the purpose of roots is to keep everything together so it is easier to AOE it all.

Don't worry, little LM. The mighty champ will save you, even if you are just some weirdo in a bathrobe.

3. Raging Blades is the best skill ever. It hits a lot of targets, hits them hard, and adds threat. There is nothing not awesome about this. And it makes an awesome noise. SHING-SHING! When the fellowship hears that, they know it's go time! SHING-SHING! OMG, it's so awesome I would do it constantly if I could. Too bad its on a 10 second cooldown.

Sometimes, a guardian or a warden will say "Don't charge in there and Raging Blades before I get good aggro" but really what they mean is "I'm totally jealous of that skill. Please don't use it and make me look like a wuss. I want to run up to those mobs and like yell at them some, and then pound on my shield menacingly. Ooh I'm so tough." Hahaha. To bad, it's DPS time! SHING-SHING!

Then they'll say things like "Well, if you can't hold back, then at least Ebbing Ire on to me." But they do not understand to purpose of Ebbing Ire. It is used to punish lorebreakers. If I'm ever grouped with an RK an I think he's out DPSing me, I'll Ebbing Ire on to him. Take that lorebreaker! Behold the wrath of Tolkien!

If I could pick them up and throw them into a well Darth Vader-style, I would.

Just realize that while champions are awesome, we want you to be awesome too. That's why we do the things we do.
Haelewulf

Postby Faradir » Sun May 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Fara has a tank and it has worked well until one level 65 skirmish which is part of the epic series, Ive tried it few times now without luck, with different pets, but I just don't seem to have enough dps there. I hope it can be done with the group or then I have to train a dps soldier. Otherwise in a group Fara can do what LM's are best of, roots, stuns, power supplier and dps. Not quite sure what would be the best soldier class there though.

Solasta has a healer and there really aren't any problems when soloing with her. Eventhough warden doesn't have as high dps as champion, they survive better against multible mobs through dot's which also heals her. And with having a healer along she survives even better and if some mobs goes to healer, a javelin or two usually draws them back. I think a healer is the best choise for tanking or dps classes but especially a warden might do with another dps as well. Maybe I give it a try.

-F-
Faradir

Postby Haelewulf » Sun May 23, 2010 5:18 pm

I've just been working on my Warden alt, and he's ridiculously tough. I shouldn't be soloing elites one level below me and finishing in a matter of seconds with full health, half power and no cooldowns. :D
Haelewulf

Next

Return to LOTRO: The Lobby