Farmboy's back!

OOC forum for LotRO specifics, news, tactics, and other goodies.

Farmboy's back!

Postby Felaion » Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Lo!

I only popped into the game because I was bored and it was the free week. But I was so shocked by how much gameplay has improved, and how much fun the new Skirmish system is - that I'm staying, for at least a month.

Will be on and off for exams... but meh, I'm back, baby!
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Re: Farmboy's back!

Postby Lirandel » Tue May 18, 2010 12:12 pm

The skirmish sure gives you more options to advance and have fun!

Welcome back! And see ya in game matey ;)
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Adjanah » Wed May 19, 2010 9:57 am

Hnnnnngh! Don't...tempt...me...! :D
Somebody please explain that skirmish system to me. Haven't tried it and haven't been able to understand properly so far. What's it all about?
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Wed May 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Skirmishes, explained as simply as possible by someone just getting used to them, are like mini-dungeons. They provide a different way to gaining levels/getting gear then grinding and questing. There's a list of pre-set instances, that can be run solo, as a duo, as a three, a five, or a twelve. You can choose what level you'd like to set the instance, and then there's 3 tiers of difficulty.

Once inside a Skirmish (which you can join from anwhere in the world), you fight to complete the objectives as they're laid out before you. It's really that simple, but I'll just add an example. Siege of Gondamon is an instance where you're trying to defend Gondamon from waves of enemy attack. There's three entrances, and you recieve a warning just before each one is assaulted. Beat back three 'waves' (each of about 5 attacks), and the general'll show. Who's HARD. However, you're aided by an npc per player (who you level/buy skills and so forth for), and usually a bunch of npcs in the instance as well. To add flavour, there are random 'encounters', which if responded to and completed, give extra loot! These usually distract you from the main objective, like sending you to kill a specific mob at the south gate whilst the north is being stormed by goblins... you get the picture.

Can't really understand it unless you try it out, really. Selling point for it for me is the atmosphere... really immersive at times, they really did well to use the prettyness of the game (but since the instances are small and you tend not to move far - pretty scenery, but very little lag!). Fara, Wulf and me did Amon Sul the other night... It was just... awsome.

..then me and the captain failed about 60 times on gondamon. They certainly are challenging, I'll say that.
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Adjanah » Wed May 19, 2010 6:51 pm

*twitch* Ack. That does sound good. :cry:
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Thu May 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Unfortunately, it really is. That, plus their efforts to make the questing side of gameplay easier to handle, and making the epic quests soloable have seen me ding Fela twice in less than a week.

Most stunned by how Burglar is fun again! Gambles rock. They're so annoyingly unpredictable... but that's sooo much fun, and sooo much Fela!

On a more Skirmish-Based note... Oi, Lira, Wulf and Fara. I think we need to co-ordinate our soldiers a little more... Skirmishes are probably harder for us because we've not been putting enough co-ordination behind our allies. I assume the best way to go is to make a 2/3 man group into a full fellowship with the avalible adds. meelee dps, ranged dps, healer, tank, debuffer... Ja? Oh, and I'll keep my stuns a little closer to hand, too. Forgot how usefull they are. xD
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Lirandel » Thu May 20, 2010 5:24 pm

The stuns worked well for us, definently Fela. As for the coordination. Yup, I hear ya,
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Adjanah » Thu May 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Damn youuuuuuuuuuu! Argl. How often do you play, guys?
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Haelewulf » Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Oh, most nights for me, if only a quick pop-in to see who's on.

The real joy of the skirmishes is that you can join from anywhere in the world, WAR-style, and then get dumped back when you're done, so no spending years meeting up first! :D

Good point about the soldiers, Fela. We should get Phindor in on the act too... he has a Warrior (faux-Champion). I reckon we could get a full fellowship going, guys...

And welcome back (soon), Adj! :D
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Felaion » Thu May 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Yeah, I tend to stick my head in most nights, see what's up/happening.

Aye, I thought I was making sense! Right now I've been training a Protector, but I don't mind putting my marks into somthing more suitable. Not sure what goes best with a debuffer, really. Can't call a burglar dps... certainly not a gambler! Ha! You don't know what's going to happen! :P
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Adjanah » Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 am

Mmyah, I'm back as well now and took the plunge and got me a lifetimer. I'm tired of having to argue with myself over whether or not to reactivate all the time - and I seem to be coming back to LotRO quite often after all. Lira came over and showed me the ropes about the skirmishes, and it does indeed seem like a cool feature. Looking forward to getting stuck in. Now, if I could just remember what all these buttons were for... >_>
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Fri May 21, 2010 9:36 am

Just don't use this one. *points at the 'hit Fela over the head and demand strawberries' button.*
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Haelewulf » Fri May 21, 2010 11:56 am

Adjanah wrote:Mmyah, I'm back as well now and took the plunge and got me a lifetimer. I'm tired of having to argue with myself over whether or not to reactivate all the time - and I seem to be coming back to LotRO quite often after all. Lira came over and showed me the ropes about the skirmishes, and it does indeed seem like a cool feature. Looking forward to getting stuck in. Now, if I could just remember what all these buttons were for... >_>

*fist-pump* YESSSS! :D
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Lirandel » Fri May 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Meet up tonight at Aughaire and do some epic questing from there. Chapter 7 and beyond, anyone?

*Pushed the 'hit Fela over the head and demand stun the mob' button instead.*
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Felaion » Fri May 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Youll have two people who can do that now, Lira! xD
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Next