Back, for life

OOC forum for LotRO specifics, news, tactics, and other goodies.

Back, for life

Postby Sayvara » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Yup... I fell for the 50% offer on life-time subs... 110 EUR (tax inc) for a lifetime of LotRO goodness... so I went for it. Eating left-overs for lunch the rest of the month but hey, it's worth it. :D

Characters right now are:

Sayvara (of course... never giving up on the lieutenant).
Sweetiepie (hobbit, rogue)
Sagewyn (alt to learn play champion from the bottom up again)

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Re: Back, for life

Postby Archibold » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Wow thats sweet deal. Why I never got it in the mail ?
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Sayvara » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Archibold wrote:Wow thats sweet deal. Why I never got it in the mail ?

Maybe you didn't sign up for the newsletter?

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Archibold » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:13 am

Didnt... :|
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby kellidir » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:25 pm

its nice to pop in periodically to see how its going. My lifetime account has definitely paid off.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Haelewulf » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 am

A slight kick for those of us that forked out as Founder members, and now get an inferior deal to newcomers... but only slight, since the amount I've saved already is huge! :)

Glad to have ya, Sayv! :D
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Archibold » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:48 am

Haelewulf wrote:A slight kick for those of us that forked out as Founder members, and now get an inferior deal to newcomers... but only slight, since the amount I've saved already is huge! :)

Glad to have ya, Sayv! :D

I disagree Wolf

The new offer of lifetime sub, comes at the point we allready payed at least year worth of subscription. Also at the moment we explored most of the game and play lot less than before.

And you had it from beginning. When you played a lot and never had to pay for subscription.

So while still being a great deal. There is no question in my mind it was best to be had from day one :)
Archibold

Postby Haelewulf » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:28 pm

More or less the point I was making, Arch. :)

For me, it was still worthwhile, since I've had more than a year's playing out of it and already saved money. But for anyone JUST starting the game now... well, they'll get an even better deal than I did, as a Founder member. Which is a bit... mneh. And after all, they're getting probably twice the gameworld that we did at launch. They haven't spent any money so far, so there was nothing to save from the outset.

Of course, the game was far better pre-MoM, so it balances out, I reckon. Still, though, it does leave you feeling a little less privileged. :)

But such is life!
Haelewulf

Postby Archibold » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Yes. I guess original founders really took the risk. (and very much helped Turbine make initial profit)

So in a way Its almost not fair.

But on the end , more profit for Turbine, means more money invested in development. So everyone benefits :D
Archibold

Postby Sayvara » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Wha'? This happens with all entertainment media. Prices are high by the premiere... then as demand drops and new titles come out and compete with your No Longer Hottest & Newest product, you start lowering the price.

Happens to every game... most of the games I have I've bought for 200 SEK or less (20 EUR) and only those where I really wanted it early I paid full price for.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Haelewulf » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Fair point, Sayv, but it's a slightly different scenario with this particular market.

After all, the majority of games we used to play were singleplayer with multiplayer components. There was precious little (if any) expansion on said content, and when there was, you paid for it. Thus, Diablo II today costs me £5, but originally would have been £30. The point is, I'm still just getting Diablo II, and it's the same game it was on release.

In this scenario, however, more of the same is being added (recent expansion, for instance), and the overall product is actually improved and enhanced... and yet still costs less. You're buying (ideally speaking) a vastly superior product for a price lower than the specially-priced Founder membership had access to. :)

It's doubtless a good marketing idea, and the only people it might offend would be the Founders who already paid lifetime, so they can't really lose out... but it removed any perks of long-term loyalty, which is a bit of a risk, goodwill-wise. :)

I'm not sore about it, it's just a conflict of morals vs. marketing.
Haelewulf

Postby Adjanah » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:59 pm

Gah! IT'S CHEAPER NOW THAN IT WAS AT THE BEGINNING! End of story! Period! Nothing more to be said! *spanks all* (in a friendly way)
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Return to LOTRO: The Lobby