I miss it

OOC forum for LotRO specifics, news, tactics, and other goodies.

I miss it

Postby Sayvara » Sat May 31, 2008 12:45 pm

The subscription ends tomorrow. I poked my head in today to pick up a few things from the house since it won't be accessible. And goodness, it is still such a beautiful game. I miss it so much I'm almost misty-eyed. I can't help but feeling a sting of sadness that we dropped it so fast.

Don't get me wrong... the reason I'm all sentimental is because there was so much fun had with you guys in this game. And I'm still all giddy with anticipation of all the great enjoyment we will have in AoC. I am very much looking forward to what lies ahead. :)

Still though... *sigh* ...it is so pretty. It really is. I miss it.

Bye for now Middle-Earth. When I get rich and famous I'll buy me a life-time subscription.

/S

P.S: They have a new animation for when you call your horse. The toon whistles for it, looks around, then whistles again bfore the horse appears. :)
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Re: I miss it

Postby Saerid » Sat May 31, 2008 6:38 pm

Aww too bad I wasn't online to say goodbye. I'll miss you Sayv and the rest of you Thorns. Saerid left for another kinship and it seems alright, but I'll always be a Thorny in my heart and it won't be the same. :cry:
Saerid

Postby Sunniva » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:36 am

*huggles Sayvara tight*
Sunniva misses you too!

[insert rant about kinship change here]
Sunniva

Postby Archibold » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:35 am

We indeed had some excellent time , in peeks of Blackthorn activity!

/Archibold rises a glass in honor of the great Kinship !
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Haelewulf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:33 am

While I'm currently stuck without any game access at all (which will end on the 26th of June, no earlier), I'm naught but an absent observer... but it's been good times, and mayhap more to come in later days. LotRO ain't done yet! :D
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Felaion » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:19 am

Well, I'm lost with no game to play, and evey game I try looses it for me after about 10 minuites. So I think I might be visiting the ol' game soon enough. :D
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Adjanah » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:22 pm

I'll just say if it hadn't been for you guys, I'd have tossed that game out the window a LOT earlier. *huggles all*
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby kellidir » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:11 pm

The guild was what made lotro fun for me. without the Blackthorns I think I would have left it to gather dust in the back of a drawer never to see light again. I have a life time membership, so if there is a group revival I'll come, but only because i'm not paying for it.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Archibold » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm

By the way guys. I am trying Vanguard. Since AOC doesnot work at my PC.

Perhaps you would find it to your liking.....
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Sayvara » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:29 pm

I came back yesterday... 6 months after I left it... with a new graphics card and naother gig of ram. And by the Valar, it is still such a breathtakingly pretty game! If anything I'd like to call it "crisp". The detail and clarity of the graphics is simply astounding. It gives the game a quality of "real" that few others live up to.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby kellidir » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Beta'd Vanguard Hate'd Vanguard... theres nothing about it that draws my interest.

And yeah, Lotro looks crisp, still looks new yet without the bugs of a new mmo. it certainly looks better than some of the new competition and does a lot of stuff better than the new competition.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Swampland » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:58 am

kellidir wrote:Beta'd Vanguard Hate'd Vanguard... theres nothing about it that draws my interest.

And yeah, Lotro looks crisp, still looks new yet without the bugs of a new mmo. it certainly looks better than some of the new competition and does a lot of stuff better than the new competition.

Agree. :) The MMOs since LotRO has mostly just... not managed to pass LotRO. Even tho many felt LotRO was a WoW copy and failure aswell.... it really has many good things about it that none of those coming after have.
Swampland

Postby Adjanah » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:36 pm

I downloaded and tried the trial for Vanguard some months back, just to give it a poke and see what it was about, and I gotta admit I hated it as well. The characters looked awful to me, and the interface was bad, and...ah well, I can keep on ranting some other time. But I won't be going back, in any case. ;)

LotTO is...well...LotRO is odd. If going on only about the graphics, I see it like this: LotRO has a great engine running it, but is marred by some horrible design. Same thing goes for EQ2. In comparison, WoW is running on a very outdated and weak engine compared to many other things, but is kept fresh and interesting to look at because the design is so damn good, no matter if you like the style or not. It's a shame we don't ever get an MMO that has a great engine AND great design. AoC was the furthest I've seen in the right direction, but that game fell hard on it's ass, sadly.

But that's a discussion I could fill up several books ranting about. I can call out specific examples if anyone cares, but for now I'll just let it rest. ^^
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Haelewulf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Adjanah wrote:I downloaded and tried the trial for Vanguard some months back, just to give it a poke and see what it was about, and I gotta admit I hated it as well. The characters looked awful to me, and the interface was bad, and...ah well, I can keep on ranting some other time. But I won't be going back, in any case. ;)

LotTO is...well...LotRO is odd. If going on only about the graphics, I see it like this: LotRO has a great engine running it, but is marred by some horrible design. Same thing goes for EQ2. In comparison, WoW is running on a very outdated and weak engine compared to many other things, but is kept fresh and interesting to look at because the design is so damn good, no matter if you like the style or not. It's a shame we don't ever get an MMO that has a great engine AND great design. AoC was the furthest I've seen in the right direction, but that game fell hard on it's ass, sadly.

But that's a discussion I could fill up several books ranting about. I can call out specific examples if anyone cares, but for now I'll just let it rest. ^^

So true, bro. Having now dabbled in WoW, I've really come to appreciate how much more could have been done in LotRO... particularly the classes, both in number and variety, which is (to my mind) WoW's crowning achievement. The world was there, the lore was there... but the classes, they pulled off uniquely and brilliantly.

I do love my champion, but if I was building a melee combat class to be played for untold hours, I'd have put a bit more effort into making combat look convincing, that's all. :) That's something CoX does in SPADES.
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby kellidir » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:17 pm

EQ2 is always something I'll come to defend. Sure theres some niggling issues, lots of zoning and the character models are not that brilliant and the armour and clothing varieties are still very limited.

But theres loads of stuff it just does so well. But unfortunately it lacks the server population that other games have.

Fully decorable houses ... vastly superior to anything else out there.
A variety of public and instance and raid dungeons that are fun to play.
Mounted Combat which actually works.
Class Variation
Mount Variation
Collectables
Pets

the list for me is endless

It's had so many things seemingly before other games and had so much at launch in comparison. It's also taken some of the best ideas from elsewhere and implemented them. What I think let EQ2 down is really the following:

They weren't closing EQ1 down in favour of it. A lot of the fan base is still in EQ1 which is still going strong with regular expansions.

The SWG saga ... the worst bits of the handling of SWG by the SOE/LA relationship that clearly didn't go well left a sour taste for anyone wanting to try other SOE games. I remember trying to get people I know into it and they were saying they'd never go SOE again.

Character Models not being the niceest out there.

Lots of zones in an era when more and more games were aiming towards a no-zoning system.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Next

Return to LOTRO: The Lobby