MORIA!!!!

OOC forum for LotRO specifics, news, tactics, and other goodies.

MORIA!!!!

Postby Haelewulf » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:00 am

Ladies, gentlemen... the first retail expansion is unveiled!!!

...with a level 60 cap, 2 new classes, and CUSTOMIZABLE AND UPGRADEABLE PERSONALIZED WEAPONRY...

I'm pumped. Have a gander!

http://www.unlocktheminesofmoria.com/
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Re: MORIA!!!!

Postby Adjanah » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Yeah, just came here to post the same thing. Bleh...they did exactly what I had feared: Went the WoW-way. "Epic loot! More levels! More end-game raiding!" Bah. I'd hoped for Rohan. :(
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Felaion » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Rawr! Yay for customisable weapons!
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Haelewulf » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 am

Adjanah wrote:Yeah, just came here to post the same thing. Bleh...they did exactly what I had feared: Went the WoW-way. "Epic loot! More levels! More end-game raiding!" Bah. I'd hoped for Rohan. :(

Couldn't really do Rohan til Moria's done with. I'd hope that Rohan and Gondor would be introduced simultaneously... Big job, but we'll see what they do with Moria first.

Also, I gotta say that I'd be more disappointed if they didn't go ahead and tack another few levels on the end. It removes a chunk of my motivation to plow through content if I'm getting no advancement from it.
Haelewulf

Postby Saerid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Personally I hoped they would have skipped Moria because it makes no sense for us players to go there imo. Also it's an underground mine woopy... I mean I'd rather have some large areas to explore outdoors. I really hope they expand other ways too and don't limit it it to some old mine shafts. Vast outdoors appeal a lot more to me than skulking in caves.

As for the rest well level cap and new classes are always a nobrainer and well can't say I'm surprised about the weapons either. Everyone likes their weapons no?

All in all seems pretty WoWish like Adj wrote.
Saerid

Postby Haelewulf » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:56 am

*grins* Tsk tsk, Saerid... nothing but mine shafts? We also get Lorien and a third region as well! :D

Besides, I have a feeling Moria will have some fairly awe-inspiringly vast caverns and halls.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=126259
Haelewulf

Postby Archibold » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:13 am

Moria !
For some reason i love dungeons , and i have missed the dungeons in contemporary MMOs.

But ... Moria , the biggest dungeon ever created !WOW

Few more things you may have missed

1.Player lights ( that means you will get torches, which means there might be dark spaces and darkness as well )
2.Cold weather that will effect your health (like dread) , and you will need to build fire to get better
3.Improved mob AI
4.Weapons that level up , get their own skills ! Socketable , tradable, craftable
5.Improved LFF tool !

All in all. Lotro is turning out to be a serious thing. :D
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Adjanah » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:17 pm

Fair points and well worth mentioning, Arch. All of those things will serve to make it a better game, no doubt about that. :)

But as Saerid said, I don't see much reason for players to head to Moria. And I really don't hope the poor balrog will just be turned into another raid-boss. As for Lorien, meh...I'm confused about how they will turn that into a player-area. What can one do there besides going "oooh" and "aaah" at all the pretty lights and eventually be shot full of arrows by angry elves? :P Still, time will tell. It might be they turn it into a smashhit. I just remain doubtful for now. :3
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Saerid » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:29 pm

*reads Wulf's and Archi's posts* Okay okay! I draw back some of my statements! It's starting to look a lot nicer. :D

Hmm after some thought Moria could be rather interesting. Hopefully it'll be instanced though. The balrog err... well what Adj said. Seems we have to give the lore more and more freedom for Lorien aswell. I just hope they can keep this game somewhat on its track lore-wise in the future aswell.

I have some worries though. At this pace it'll take a long time before we make it to Gondor or Mordor. I hope some rival MMORPGS won't steal players and leave LotrO empty before we get there.

Also if the rune-master is some fireball/icebolt chunking mage á la DnD I will cry. Hopefully it's just a dwarven caster.
Saerid

Postby Saerid » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:32 pm

*chuckles at Adj's view of players entering Lorien*
Saerid

Postby Archibold » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Last edited by Archibold on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archibold

Postby Archibold » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:12 pm

I dont know for you guys , but "bridge of Khazad-dum" is my favorite part of LOTR (i mean book) :mrgreen:

I only regret that Mirkwood seems to be completely forgotten and skipped. I know it is not in LOTR but it is such important place in my mind. I guess if i could choose to visit two (dangerous) locales of Middle earth it would be Mirkwood and Moria .
Archibold

Postby Haelewulf » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Worry not, Arch... Mirkwood's part of Rhovanion, and the furthest they'll expand past Moria in this expansion (so rumour has it) is Eregion.
Haelewulf

Postby Sayvara » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:16 pm

"Angry elves".... now there is a guild name. :D

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Yontan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:21 pm

i'll be interested to see whether moria becomes accessible before or after the fellowship pass through. to me, it would make more sense to place it before, based on what happens in the book. if it is after, then visiting the bridge would be all but a screenshot viewing point. Obviously gandalf talks of other passages out, but he can't recall how to get to them, so its not a total no-go path.
I also wonder where the new areas will join with the existing. Will there be the fabled route through the goblintown to the other side of the mountains? (if so then mirkwood would be a good possibility) Would we have to travel south through the trollshaws, into a new area of the misty mountains? (simply because geographically Moria is south of where we are currently roaming). I look forward to seeing how they mean to join everything together.
As for Lorien, maybe only elves or elf-friends are allowed in? hmmmm, In a north downs quest Faerndan is called elf-friend. The same title which got frodo an extra warm smile from the Lady.
tbh I can't see it being any different to rivendell valley, with afew "defend the borders" quests thrown in for good measure, thats what legolas did when the fellowship arrived. Why not us too?
Yontan

Next

Return to LOTRO: The Lobby