Housing Coordination!

OOC forum for LotRO specifics, news, tactics, and other goodies.

Re: Housing Coordination!

Postby Sunniva » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Or you could sell it, and add the new buyer to the admin list, so he/she can do anything there. I don't know does the original house owner stays in the admin list too, so that could be a problem.
Sunniva

Postby kellidir » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:36 pm

THis has got to be the worst housing implementation system i've ever seen.

The neighbourhood unlocking system makes this a nightmare at best to coordinate getting your kinship all together in one zone.

There is precious little new models. Almost everthing seems to be recycled.

House decoration is appauling ... so few fixed slots and only one item per slot which means you can't have a dining table and chairs! there is no rotation either and given the limited slots and the limits of each slot, houses are going to be very "vanilla" ... almost no personality to them.

If SOE can make excellent houseing systems like we see in SWG and in EQ2 ... why the hell can't anyone else?

I was looking forward to this patch, now i'm very "meh" about it.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Sayvara » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:03 pm

I must play the Devil's Advocate here regarding housing.

It is not at all fair to compare to SWG's housing that has been developed and iterated for, what is it, years? Housing is a huge thing to implement. Anything that requires database fiddling for persistance - and housing most certainly does - must be done very carefully because that is hard to do.

One must remember what is at stake here. If a new module breaks the game, then we are looking at possible game crashes, players losing money and/or items... and at the very worse: server downtime... and that is *expensive*. The larger module they launch, the higher the risk is that the new module will break the game.

Turbine has a choice:

1) Keep implementing for a very long time and put spit and polish to the housing while the users wait and wait. Then launch a frecking huge module that hasn't been beta tested and that they don't have any wide user feedback on. The upside is that housing will be more "finished" when it launches. The downside is a much longer wait, a higher risk of server downtime, and very little user feedback has gone into the development meaning that they may have developed the wrong thing, thus having wasted lots of money.

2) Launch iteratively, i.e. develop a bit, launch, gather feedback and then keep implementing, launch again, adn so forth. Downside is that users feel that housing isn't finished. Upside though is thurough testing, lesser risk of server downtime and a building a proven stable platform for housing.

See this launch as the beta test of housing. Development of housing will continue. Turbine will most likely let it simmer through book 12... then for book 13 or 14, we'll see the next iteration of the housing. Housing will improve.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby kellidir » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:22 pm

SWGs housing has been good since it was patched. its always had the flexibility. they designed with player cities and free placement furniture and they achieved it. Same can be said for eq2.

The difference here is design, a well thought out design compared to a poorly thought out design. I'm a software developer, so when I see poor system design, I recognise it for what it is, poor system design. Whoever has put this system in place has quite simply designed it badly. They haven't considered fully the social aspects of owning housing in a roleplay game, especially where half the servers are roleplay focused.

This might well come down to the city/zone engine issues that were preexistant in the game itself, perhaps the entire system has always run on a "Building -> slot -> item" model where the slot is the coordinates and facing while aforementioned games have used a "Building -> item" model where the coordinates and facing are at the item level.

I will give them kudos on at least making housing. A 1L ford fiesta is better than nothing. But if you're releasing it in comparison to a Ferrari ... its just plain shit.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Adjanah » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:23 pm

Kelli is still making a fair point though, and one I am very much agreed with. SWG and EQ2 have of course developed on their systems since they came out with their housing, BUT when they INITIALLY implemented it, they did so in a MUCH more finished state than this. I am not paying a monthly fee to be a betatester. They have ACTUAL betatesting and special test-servers just for that. Of course, playing an MMO will always be to play something that is in constant development, but in this case it is downright ridiculous.

This isn't a matter of putting "spit and polish" on something as you mention, Sayv. There is nothing to apply spit and polish ON TO. This is like being handed a lollipop, and being told they'll add taste and color in just a couple of months, but have fun with the stick! Thank you, but I'd prefer to wait then. Which I will.

What we have here is a blatant example of a publisher breathing down the neck of the poor developers, and forcing them to implement something before it is done. I am willing to bet big money on the developers NOT being satisfied with the product they have released.

And yes, of course it will be developed on...anything else would be suicide. My point is that they have implemented it too SOON. And I feel sorry for the developers that they have been forced to do this.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Sayvara » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:29 pm

Well noone was forcing you to buy anything at this point so basically you could have just ignored housing for now and waited until the next iteration. :)

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Adjanah » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:36 pm

We're talking about two different things, Sayv. Let's handle it in MSN or just drop it.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Sayvara » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:29 am

"You have purchased a house. Your new address is 2 High Road, Swerbrey, Bree-land Homesteads."

Me and Candil are sharing it. It's open for everyone in the kinship to come visit. :)

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Sunniva » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:40 am

Sayvara wrote:"You have purchased a house. Your new address is 2 High Road, Swerbrey, Bree-land Homesteads."

Some one beat me to it?
Your house is all ready empty...
Sunniva

Postby Sayvara » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:40 am

Sunniva wrote:
Sayvara wrote:"You have purchased a house. Your new address is 2 High Road, Swerbrey, Bree-land Homesteads."

Some one beat me to it?
Your house is all ready empty...

Well we didn't stay too long. We were both tired. And we have yet to decorate it.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Sunniva » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:59 am

Sayvara wrote:Well we didn't stay too long. We were both tired. And we have yet to decorate it.

/S

Please tell me when you fill it up again, so I can sneak in and empty it...
Oh wait, did I say that out loud?
I meant to say that I can go and be amazed by your skillful decoration skills.
Yeah, that I was supposed to say.
Sunniva

Postby Sayvara » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:56 pm

Sunniva wrote:
Sayvara wrote:Well we didn't stay too long. We were both tired. And we have yet to decorate it.

*giggles*

Well glad you warned us so we can nail everything down real hard. :D

Actually the permission system lets the owner controll the following things:

• Who gets to visit
  • Who is allowed to make payments for upkeep
  • Who can redecorate
  • Who has access to the house storage
  • Who can can change the permissions

And these permissions can be set for:
  • The owner
  • The kinship
  • Named individuals
  • Everyone

The way our hosue is set up now is that I and Candil have full rights, and anyone in the Thorns may visit and pay our rent (if they should feel inclinded to do so :D ) but not move our furniture or sneak peaks in our chests.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Haelewulf » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:54 pm

But I like peeking at your chests... :-(

;)
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Sayvara » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:29 pm

Haelewulf wrote:But I like peeking at your chests... :-(

At our chests... AT them! Not IN them!

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Felaion » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:08 pm

Sunniva wrote:

/S

Woah, woah!! Wait just one cotton picking minuite.....

.....is someone trying to out-thieve me???

This means War!
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

PreviousNext

Return to LOTRO: The Lobby