Starting the Autumn Season, give your opinions.

OOC forum for LotRO specifics, news, tactics, and other goodies.

Starting the Autumn Season, give your opinions.

Postby Sayvara » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:29 am

Hello all!

Some feel things have been slowing down lately. And I don't blame people for feeling that... because in some respects it has. I do know however that there is much energy left unspent among us... for RP, both casual and eventing; for questing together; for doing non-in-game work at the site and building characters.

So... now that fall is coming, I think it's time we took a moment to reflect upon two things:

1) Where are we/you? What's the status? What do you like? What do you dislike?
2) Where do we/you want to go with all this? What would you want to see more of? What ideas do you have for the future?

Please sound off and give your opinions and wishes. Let the discussion commence. :)

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Re: Starting the Autumn Season, give your opinions.

Postby Lildarwen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:07 pm

I really like you all and would love to play more with you. But I have to see that my time is very limited at the moment and mostly taken away by my work.

Together with the fact that LotRO gives me some kind of bad taste at the moment it's hard for me, to go online - reckognizing there is nothing going on. And then I log out disappointed, which does not help at all.

I am waiting for Hellgate London at the moment.

And I am looking forward to a new kind of MMO like AoC. The old ones, based on EQ 1, really start to bore me.

Pirates of the Burning Seas might be another good one - but I can't say.

I will be a bit more online now after my big birthday party is over. But if there is nothing to do then I will not waste my time in running aimlessly around and waiting for others to have some spare time or to come online at all.

Love you all *hugs*
Lildarwen

Postby Sayvara » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Well this was kind of a let-down... the most replies we got was in the other thread with people saying how they are getting tired of the game. Isn't there anyone that wan't to get a bit of fresh spirit back in LotRO?

Well in any case... I'm staying. I like the game, both for RP and for gameplay. It's not as versitile as a Persistent World NWN server but good enough for me. The game is still being actively developed and there is much to look forward to. The server is good... the atmosphere on Laurelin is wonderously leet-kiddie free and instead well populated by mature (enough) players. And I kind of like the LotR take on the WoW engine. Sayvara is lvl 40+ by now and I'm getting really itchy to try out another race/class. It feels like I have something to look forward to.

Also I feel there is alot of unexplored RP to be found. There are *many* roleplayers out there and we have kept mostly to ourselves and not looked into the possibilities of expanding beyond our own little realm.

I'll be here... just come see me all you who want to remain. The only thing that irks me is all the loose threads left hanging.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Archibold » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:52 pm

Hey Sayv ,

I understand this is bit disapointing. For me the best thing about LOTRO is that i got in touch with you people from Black Thorn. Rest of it is not important at all.

I personally do not feel lot of attachment to LOTR world. And although the truth is that LOTRO has awesome community , i just do not feel like part of the world.

Even in Thorn, Archibold is outsider. Hobbit among band of human scoundrels and elf renegades ? I have barely seen any opportunity for meaningful RP in this.

This is probably my biggest dislike for now.

As for where I would like to go....
I would probably like to see more meaningful stories, more adventure , less emotion and drama.

That is kind of my standpoint.

But a top of all. As i posted before , i got bit of LOTRO overburn. This happens to me with every game. I just need some change from time to time :(
"Reality is the part that refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." -- Phillip K. Dick
Archibold

Postby Lirandel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:01 pm

2) Where do we/you want to go with all this? What would you want to see more of? What ideas do you have for the future?

1) Right now I am having a lot of RL business to attend too. And I also need a breather from LOTRO. But more specifically MMO RP. I am sad to say drained of energy these days. But I definently agree with you Sayv. We have lots and lots to play. So the status for me so far is going ahead with the chronicles of destiny, still largely "closed" chapters for the Kinship. (Hopefully more open events for the Laurelin community can be made by other peeps?!)
There isnt really things I like or dislike about LOTRO, I have just played it too much :)

2) Well. I have the firm belief that the Thorn is and always have been a Gamer's Paradise. In the regard of not being a community based around one game in particular. We are wanderers in that great universe called MMORPG's.
We are "Mates" joining together for an online experience.
That said I still want to play LOTRO. And finish COD. But it has to be fun you know :) - and not work related.
Right now I am delving into City of Villains/City of Heroes in a non-rping fashion. Checking it out for those that havent had the opportunity to play it. A report will present itself, when I have more time on my hands. (RL sucks!)

Well that was my thoughts on this Sayv :)
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Postby Haelewulf » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Personally I'm in LOTRO for keeps. :)

I like the game, I love the Thorn, and I still enjoy it, especially the more casual and impromptu RP that while on the decline, can still be found when you seek it out.

It's nice to be capped and not looking to grind more quests or the like... but I capped before I got sick of it anyway.

Besides, it's game my RL dad and I started so that we could have a bit of bonding time even while I was at university, and since he's only level 34 at the minute (not a fan of being twinked, although he's not opposed to me lending an axe when he cannae find a fellowship), we've got a fair bit of play left in it.

Besides, even something as simple and "grind-oriented" as hunting aurochs (and honkin' 'normous bears too) is an absolute blast when done IC... so thanks for that, Sayv! :)

I'll resurrect my CoX account and try and catch up with those of you that are playing... huzzah for new toons, since you're all on Union instead of Defiant. :P

It'll be a temporary thing, though, since CoX simply has a hideously-told story, and frankly lacks the variety necessary to hold me... even down to the repetitive maps. It will be awesome to play with you guys, however.

I'll still be on LOTRO, however... and I'm in for the long haul. *grins*
Haelewulf
Button-nosed sack of anvils

Postby Felaion » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Don't worry Sayv! I'm here and staying.

Being young, and amongst parents who dissaprove of monthly payments, I simply don't have the liberty to hop around MMOs. LOTRO gripped me, and meeting the Thorn was my first step into more mature, organised RP. So I'm definatly not going anywhere. Excpet maby to play around with free trials on other games. That's all I can manage.

At the moment, I'm starting lower Sixth, so time has been taken up with finding work, organising things, etc. But most of the dime, I'm feeling bored because no-one is on LOTRO for RP. OOC grinding bores me, so I've ended up having to search for RP in the Pony etc. (not notorious for having brilliant RPers inside) Status is... I'm bored. But also tired and busy. I personally need a kick-start, or somthing to look forwards to. I still like LOTRO, and am going to have to stay there for some time too. Dislikes... lack of casual RP, agreed.

Ummm, well, I totally agree and empathise with people who say they need a break. I understand the feeling. Summer is never a brilliant time for anything, as people are always busy etc, and momentum slows down. That's what I see here. All we ever really had was action RP, drama and emotion, and once it was over, no-one was around for the casualness that should follow.

But I'm not going anywhere.
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Emberyn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:11 pm

As much as I love the Thorn, I'm finding the PvP in the ettenmoors short lived, the RP dwindling, and lack much motivation to grind the last three levels. Plus, I have been playing the Warhammer Online beta, which is such overkill against LOTRO in terms of PvP it's difficult to go back to the watered down LOTRO stuff. Plus, a large amount of people I know got in, too.

I'm still gonna be around, of course. Just the general lack of events and no RP besides the silly Beodric event has left me kind of washed out and bored.
Emberyn

Postby Adjanah » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm burnt out on LotRO. Simple as that. The mechanics, the quests, the rp. Mechanics-wise, it's simply too close to WoW to offer me anything more than same old, same old. And having played that for 3 years means I am SICK of it by now (just cancelled my WoW subscription as well, hopefully for good until I'll most likely have a peek at the exansion). And the RP I've managed to get lately has simply been too emotionally demanding for me to keep interest.

Now, I like emotional RP. But when it is ALL I get, I get stressed and surly. So why didn't I invite people for casual rp? Because 1. I'm lazy, and 2. (perhaps more importantly) the setting is not geared for it unless you play a socially challenged hobbit. We officially have a war hanging over our heads, every NPC acts like you're the worst thing to happen to him (the next man I try to rent a horse from that replies "Can't you leave me to my misery...?" will get such a wallopping!), plus we've been WAY too deep in emo-plots for my liking for too long. Kidnappings, pain, torture, death, semi-possesions, broken hearts and so and so forth. I like all those things, I'm a roleplayer, of course I do...but enough is bloody enough. Why Adj would even CONSIDER inviting for ales at this time is beyond me. She SHOULD be curled up and gibbering in a corner somewhere.

What I WANT is a way to put the "adventure" back into the Thorn and get out of the friday-night-drama. More hobbit-trials, less dead elves. More daring-do and swinging from ropes, less "YOU CHEATED ON ME, YOU BASTARD!". But doing that in LotRO? I don't know. For now, I simply need a BREAK and the simple pleasure of playing goofy characters on CoX. I am not *quitting* neither LotRO or the Thorn. Hell no. But I am taking a break until I feel like I WANT to log on again, which I at present simply do not do.

I will not deny that the latest string of plots have influenced my want to play the game. Since it was you, my friends, who arranged them in the first place, I felt obliged to participate even if the plots weren't exactly what I was looking for...plus an attempt at trying to stay updated on what is going on. And making my own oh-so-fun events in the middle of all this just seemed...well...stupid.

However, and this is important: It has nothing to do with either of you personally, since I have grown vastly fond of you all as friends and will look forward to playing with you again.
Adjanah
Apple-sister

Postby Candil » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:29 pm

well for the first lil bit, i suppose the rather dreadful answer is i'm not going anywhere, but mostly because i have a lifetime subscription. the last two weeks or so i've tried to log on, but quickly found candil boredly idling by the mailbox while i pop off with a book or to cook an overly elaborate dinner :P. i love to rp but janah's post strikes very close to home, and i'm not much of a fan of distress and worry rp, plus candil is totally illsuited for it :P. as to what i like, casual rp, light hearted events, split by the occasional plot advancing evilness. as for dislikes, combat rp i'm not enamoured of unless it's in very small groups, optional, and with the possibility of proper consequences (a slight case of deadness for example).

i'd quite like a couple of times a week when we can be meet up for rp, be it for plots, events, or just unplanned meet-ups and see where things go. i've already said what i wanna see more of, but to sum up, casual rp, events and stuff, and i adore the amount of plot-rp we have right now, it's perfectly done! as for ideas. i think what might be an idea for those of us not inspired by the prospect of roleplaying an emotionally distraught character preparing for war, i'd like the possibility of other characters in the thorn, such as a dedicated tailor or blacksmith. still members of the thorn, the backstage folks don't have to worry about imminent death, so have time to gossip and have fun :P. i'd quite like the possibility of another character, but up to the officers!
huggles
candy
Candil
Pillowy soft

Postby kellidir » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:42 pm

I'm bored of grinding minstrel. I have 3 1/3 levels left, pvp as a minstrel is extremely expensive as i'm one of the first to get targetted. I would like to play other classes and explore that different style of gaming, but I don't because Thorn rules are 1 PC only. So to play another class and playstyle basically means to be out of touch with everyone i'm online to play with.

Kelli spends entire evenings in one spot sitting around in the game world while pretty much nothing happens.

2) Where do we/you want to go with all this? What would you want to see more of? What ideas do you have for the future? [/size][/b]

First ... drop this silly 1 PC rule, make it 2 or 3 PCs. There a multiple reasons ... first helps reduce bordem as we can experiment more ooc and adventure wise. Second reason is that it allows the roleplay of consequence. The most recent plot lines have been plagued due to the 1 PC rule either stopping the full playing of consequence or resulting in vast bendings of the time line and lots of feigned ignorance of such bending.

Second ... lets get more social rp happening. This will be easier when player housing and districts come out as it means we can have our own IC bars where we don't have to tolerate the general chaff of the pony.

Third ... lets get some more small time stuff happening but with people we can actually trust. The assassinations and running around town would have been more enjoyable with characters played by people we trust. This could well mean an NPC alliance with another kinship. say once a week we play some NPCs for them in return for them doing the same for us, or even taking it in turns each week.

I'm going to give CoV/H a try. but I do have a LOTRO life time account so I won't be dissappearing from there.
Last edited by kellidir on Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kellidir
Seriously Sassy Surgeon

Postby Sayvara » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Good post Kellidir, you gave some real good suggestions.

About the "One PC Only" rule... I for one would be glad to tear it up. And if Janah and Lirandel is going to step down (well, at least Janah... I don't know about Lirandel but if he's playing CoX and not logging onto LotRO i sort of count him out) that sort of leave me as the only acting officer in LotRO. :)

Now now, don't worry Janah and Lirandel... I'm not gonna stage a coup here. ;) But I really think we should heed Kelli here. Toss out the One PC Only rule.

/S
Sayvara
Chaotic Neutral Admin

Postby Felaion » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:06 pm

I totally agree.

Hell, I have 2 PC's don't I!
Master Vagandro Rist - Jedi Sage & Diplomat
The Jolly Green Giant
Felaion
Farmboy

Postby Saerid » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:12 pm

I'm busy in Uni myself + some other IRL stuff so I haven't been online much. I don't really have time to think much about character development or huge plots because of that. Then again I've always been a fan of casual RP, not huge drama. Don't know if I've just become lazy with all the drama and I'm looking for some fast-paced stuff when I have the time. I also like rping while questing. Even if you're doing the same quests over and over again you can vary them and spice them up.

As for the game itself I'm not bored. Yes it's a lot like WoW and there's grinding and tons of quests to kill stuff, but that has never really bothered me, not in WoW either. I like the setting a lot. Low-magic medieval style + lore so that'll keep me going at least. All in all LotrO has a lot more good for me than bad.

Also I have seen so little of the game so far. Saerid is lvl 27 woopy. Pretty much seen the rest of you only in events/chats since you're all up there in the skies levelwise. :D

I do get these bored with MMO feelings time to time. It becomes too much work sometimes and I miss single-player stuff or just some raw action ie. pvp which I used to do a lot in WoW. PvP in LotrO isn't that breathtaking though and Ettenmoors seems too static. Nothing real happening, only small skirmishes. I've checked out Warhammer Online and it seems awesome in regards of PvP and seems to not have so much grinding which makes it more fast-paced. Could be wrong. Might check it out though.

In summary I'll say that the times I've played with you guys it's been great, but not really sure where I'm going. Nothing might change or I might take a break or quit MMOs alltogether. As for events I'd rather see more small events/meetings rather than huge stories.
Saerid

Postby Lirandel » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:01 pm

Aye, blacksmiths and tailors or any craftsmen for the Thorns sounds as an excellent idea.

Let me just say this again. I am not leaving LOTRO. But I am taking a break from Lirandel and the game itself.

So right now Sayvara has the officer mantle, later when she has RL stuff or needs a break I will pick it up. And who knows Adj might be back. She has done it before in the Thorn and "might" do it again. Again - who knows...

Right now I have a teenaging, cheerleading, skirt-wheeling sidekick to play. And she is so different from the grumpy one, that she is a delight to play Casual RP with... But I will be back... You can count on it!
"Boots to asses... Or Imps out the airlock." -Antora Kel - Trooper Vanguard
Lirandel
Grumpy Old Fart

Next

Return to LOTRO: The Lobby